New Weatherstripping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Weatherstripping

Finally did the weatherstripping yesterday (and last night and this morning). The old adhesive was a major PITA to remove. About 6-7 hrs of peeling tiny chunks of old rubber and dried adhesive and 15 minutes of putting the new stuff on. I would definitefly recommend the 3M over the Permatex adhesive. The 3M dried so much quicker and even though it was really stringy was easier to work with because the tip was smaller. The other stuff ended up all over the place and felt really good gettin into all of the little cuts from sanding.

I hope I did it right. If it leaks I'll .
    1989 TA
    Flowmaster exhaust
    Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
    K&N CAI
    Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

You could have just bought some 'Dow Corning 4 Compound'. It will restore weathering stripping that is leaking due to its loss of fullness.
    1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
    V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
    previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

It was turning to dust in the corners. When I'd remove it the part that was sealed to the body would crumble. It didn't look too bad from the top, but the bottom was falling apart.
      1989 TA
      Flowmaster exhaust
      Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
      K&N CAI
      Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

the 3M weatherstrip adhesive is great stuff. Once it sets, believe me it's not coming off.

in case folks have a chunk of weatherstrip missing and just want a simple repair with replacing the whole weatherstrip, take black silicone and fill the gap a little higher than flush. Take a clear sheet of saran wrap, spray a mist of water on the plastic and immediatly put it over the top of the still wet silicone. Close the window, hatch or whatever it is that you are fixing and let it sit overnight. Open the door, window or whatever, peel off the saran wrap and you will have a flush and smooth, molded repair that will last a long time. I've done this in a pinch many times and it works great.

Comment

Working...
        X