95Z some mods, what can I expect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95Z some mods, what can I expect

Recently completed a rebuild, and some mods on a 95 Z. Stock heads ported with 2.02 1.60 valves. Comp cam with +10 degrees at .050 I & E, and .530's lift I & E with 1.6 roller rockers. Had hedders and a flowmaster previously, and it ran 9.20 at 80mph with a lousy 60' in the 1/8th. Has anyone ran anything simlar to this, if so what were the times. This car is just a little slower than the Stock Chevy Beretta I had, but this one I can actually drive on the street. Well the Beretta did have Stock headlights, tailights, and grille. They only built a few stock Beretta's with all aluminum 632's in them, I was lucky enough to find one. It only ran 4.76 152 in the 1/8th. It might have done better if it only would have gone straight. The gas mileage was pretty good though, it could get 4 gallons to the mile if I didn't push it too much.

Not sure if this helps, but with a bone stock shortblock. Here is my best ET with bolt ons with an A4 and stock converter. It's not my best 60', not my best R/T, not my best 1/8th mph but best ET for the 1/4.

R/T .577
    60' 2.019
    1/8 et 8.547
    1/8 mph 86.110
    1/4 et 13.031
    1/4 mph 107.860

headers, Y pipe, gears, ignition, suspension, and various other mods....

Without knowing what kind of flow those heads produce, an estimate will be tough. My best guess based on what I see is 375 HP. What kind of trans? What suspension mods? what tires? so many variables.......

What class were you running the Beretta?

Comment

Joe 1320

Thanks for the reply Joe. Do not know what the heads flow, but they should be better than stock. We started it today and it sounds good, but the true test is on the track. Can't believe the lope in the idle with this mild cam. I degreed it so I know it matches specs. I will run some drag radials when I take it to the track. The rear is a 3.23 posi, but it spun the tires madly at the track when it was on street tires. The Beretta, which is now running in Texas was originally built as a Pro Stock or Comp eliminator by Don Ness. I ran it in local heads up races with a best of 4.76 @ 152.9 mph in the 1/8th. I never tried the 1/4 with it. Never did get a full pass even at that I always had to get off the throttle a little bit even when it ran 4.70's. This was an all out Drag car with moly chassis, all aluminum 632, Glide, sheet metal intake, big chiefs. Car ran 5.07 @ 135 on motor in the 1/8th. On motor it was straight as an arrow. With a 250 Nitrous shot I could get it down the track, with a 400 shot I was looking at the wall from different views. The Camaro is a daily driver, so I did not put forged pistons in it or make any wild mods so I would not be tempted to go crazy. As they sell a twin turbo kit for this that is good for 800-1200 hp. That would surely break that dinky 7.5 rear, twist the chassis into a corkscrew, and generally turn the rest of the driveline in mush.

Dave Vince

Dave Vince

Comment

Working...
      X