t-56 shifter question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t-56 shifter question

Will a borg warner t-56 shifter from a 2000 cobra fit my 94 trans am?

The bottom section should, yeah. A T-56 is a T-56 is a T-56 (EDIT - disregard, read below). Its the stick that makes the difference. Why are you putting a shifter in from a mudstain? Aren't the slowbra's T-5's?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

yes, they are t-5.......except the 03 and higher, they are 56's with the 6 speed

AMF RACING: Friends don't let friends drive junk

01 black ss #0966
      lou's short stick, slp lid and cold air, smooth bellow, centerforce, loudmouth, 3 in. y pipe, flowtech long tubes, BMR STB, SLP 4.10's, polished zr-1s, MSD wires, T-6 plugs, and upcoming goodies....Tee-Hee

Comment

I'd do a little more research before accepting that "A T-56 is a T-56 is a T-56." I've seen a Viper T56 up close, and the rear housing for the shifter and tailshaft looks nothing like the F-Body T-56. You need to check very carefullt to insure the Cobra T-56 is identical to the F-Body version, with respect to the shifter.

The main body of the tranny is similar in all cases, but the front cover and the rear housing is custom tailered to the specific vehicle application. Not to say the bolt pattern and other details of the Cobra and F-Body shifters aren't the same, but I know the Viper shifter mounting plate is almost square, compared to the long rectangle on the F-Body.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
          I'd do a little more research before accepting that "A T-56 is a T-56 is a T-56." I've seen a Viper T56 up close, and the rear housing for the shifter and tailshaft looks nothing like the F-Body T-56. You need to check very carefullt to insure the Cobra T-56 is identical to the F-Body version, with respect to the shifter.

The main body of the tranny is similar in all cases, but the front cover and the rear housing is custom tailered to the specific vehicle application. Not to say the bolt pattern and other details of the Cobra and F-Body shifters aren't the same, but I know the Viper shifter mounting plate is almost square, compared to the long rectangle on the F-Body.
          I did not know that, thanks Fred . I retract the previous statement then.
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Fred is correct the shifter on a viper is more like a square-shape whereas ours are shaped like a rectangle. Also the position of the stick is very different.

Lol Fred knows everything
            Attached Files
            1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

I just got a new Summit catalog. In the "Mustang" section they have a B&M shifter for the 03/04 Cobra, and in the "LT1/LS1/L98" section they have a B&M shifter for the F-Body, and they are not the same part number. Might still be a "handle" differense, but hard to tell.

And of course we all know the T-56 is made by Tremec
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The 2000 Cobra did not have a T-5. It had a Tremec 3650. You can verify if it is a 3650 by looking to see that it has the drain plug on the bottom of the case and not the side. That shifter will probably not be a direct bolt on to your 1994 f-body Borg Warner T-56.

Borg Warner made the T-56 for the 1994-1997 f-bodies, while Tremec made the 1998-2002 T-56's for the f-bodies.

Comment

Working...
                X