Mods for New Gears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods for New Gears

If I wanted to change my A4 2.73 gears to 3.23 vs. 3.42 vs. 3.73, I am well aware that several things need to accomodate them. I know changing the Torque converter with a Vigilante or Yank helps a lot but also I read a site that stated to need to upgrade from a class II (Stock) carrier to a class III carrier. I am assuming they are talking about the entire rear end set up.

In order for one to reap the benefits and lasting enjoyment of new gears does that person need to buy an entire new rear end?

Which gears would be good for a daily driver who just wants to be little more than stock and not have problems like excessive gear noise and whine?

Thanks for the advice.
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

The carrier is the actual differential, the posi unit. Its the piece that the ring gear attaches to and the axle-shafts insert into. All you would need, I believe, is just the carrier, should be same bearings and such. As for gear choice, I'd go with the 3.23s if you want gas mileage vs. performance. Also, if you're gonna change the ratio, you'll need to also recal. the speedo and should remove the limiter.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
    X