Exaust leakage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exaust leakage

So the car was fine the first week i got her back after the header install. and past couple days i noticed like a ticking sound coming from up front. I went and retightend all the header bolts, and i got nothing. Is it the stupid like paper gaskets they gave me, like should i go back n put the original meatal ones on and see what that does for me ?
    -Nick-
    95 A4 Z28

Originally posted by 95z28
    So the car was fine the first week i got her back after the header install. and past couple days i noticed like a ticking sound coming from up front. I went and retightend all the header bolts, and i got nothing. Is it the stupid like paper gaskets they gave me, like should i go back n put the original meatal ones on and see what that does for me ?
    They used paper gaskets with headers???

Always use high quality metal gaskets with any exhaust manifold / header. I recommend Felpro.

Problems like this seem common with headers, though.. no matter what gaskets you use. That is the one reason I'm not looking forward to getting them.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

If you get the Earl's aluminum gaskets with the replaceable inserts they will work - they seal the headers and retain the torque of the fasteners, although I have header studs which work better than any type of bolt you can use.

Those paper ones are crummy, but they worked better if you soaked them in water before installing them.

Copper gaskets don't blow out, but I found the ones I had were the wrong shape/size for the heads and there was a built-in leak at the bottoms of the ports.

Comment

I had the same thing. Thought it was a leak, searched hi and low. It was a loose plug wire boot causing a misfire. Spark knock it's called. Sounds like an exhaust leak tink. Just something to watch for.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Header gasket

Used the fel pro header gasket with no problem. Am trying a set of metal gaskets, (3 layers) will see how they work.

Comment

Just replaced mine. They installed them with crappy paper ones... Huge mistake on my part (i was penny pushing) It was on the passenger side (the leak) so it was a relatively easy replace with a nice metal one.

I've had both sides replaced.

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
            Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

ya my exhaust leaks too
              1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

I'm fixing one tomorrow in mine too! This is my second leak, so I'm not fooling around this time.

I got some dead soft aluminum gaskets for about $40 and also stage 8 locking header bolts ($40) to keep everything tight.

I've heard that the leak sound could cause knock retard and that the leak could let excess air in the system before the O2 sensors leading to the engine running a little rich and a rough idle.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
                X