No announcement yet.

Rear seat delete.... how did you......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear seat delete.... how did you......

How did you (or did you even bother to) cover the rectangular holes in the carpet on the floor, where the seat bottoms were bolted down? I've had the seat out for several years, and just left the stock rear floor mats over the holes in the carpet. Didn't look very good.

I'm thinking maybe cut a rectangle out of the floor mat to shove under the carpet, but that might be sort of stiff. Maybe find a softer carpet in a similar color at a remnant store????

Any ideas will be appreciated. It may be a "track only" car, but it will never look like a POS.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

A friend of mine make these and sells them thru this shop

http://www.speedspecialty.com/store/...duct=rrseatcvr
    1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
    1 of 463
    LT4 knock module
    D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
    strut tower brace
    SLP fan switch
    160* t/stat
    Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
    DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

I just took out the back seat of mine to see what you where talking about and was suprised there is only one bolt holding the bottom section of the seat on. I guess thats all it needs. Its a pretty small area you car talking about. Around the bolt and a rectagualar section above it. I'd just use a small peice from the rear section from around that spare tire area or the opposite side under the trim panel. (Rear side speaker area) I'm sure there is plenty of extra area of carpet there. Just use carpet adheasive to glue it down. If you can cut the sections pretty close you can blend them in to the rest of the carpeting.

I'm suprised at how light the seats are! Just a pound or so.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

This guy was selling a roll of leftover medium pewter after he did some covering of his rear seat deletes:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ghlight=carpet

Fred I'm not sure if this guy still makes these, but he was selling them on ls1tech and eBay for a while. They look really nice. Here is the ebay link:

Ebay link

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH95Formula
          I Just use carpet adheasive to glue it down. If you can cut the sections pretty close you can blend them in to the rest of the carpeting.
          Since mine are only out for the duration of the night out at the strip, I use a small square of 3M double sided tape to hold each square in place. I even tried velco but could get it to lay correct.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

"94 formula" had access to auto carpet remnants, and is looking for a match for me. He also suggested the techniques required to produce a near seamless result. That would be my first choice. The panels shown above would be my second choice.

I'm also thinking of moving the nitrous bottle to the hump between the (used to be) back seats.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I don't know if you guys remember Matt Swindle (SLONOMO) who had the red TA which ran a best of 10.34. On his car he said he took out the factory carpeting and had an auto carpet place put in light weight carpet which both covered the holes AND saved him about 50 pounds. I don't know if it saved him that much exactly, but that's what he told me a while back.

Comment

I remember Matt, and his red TA. He was at our "Fastest F-Body" event at Englishtown back in 2000 or 2001:

Fred

Comment

I had a ride in it last year. He has a parachute on the back now

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                    I don't know if you guys remember Matt Swindle (SLONOMO) who had the red TA which ran a best of 10.34. On his car he said he took out the factory carpeting and had an auto carpet place put in light weight carpet which both covered the holes AND saved him about 50 pounds. I don't know if it saved him that much exactly, but that's what he told me a while back.
                    Speed Inc. (www.ls1speed.com) makes lightweight carpet for 4th Gen F-Bodies. For the life of me I cannot find my old link. It is said to save about 20 lbs. And you can order it complete without the rear seat cutouts.

Price is $269.99

Comment

what did I do?

nothing...it just flaps there.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Yep... lightweight carpet is on my list of "things to do". I've already spent time pulling a lot of the noise padding off, but it doesn't seem to weigh that much.... a whole big bag of it is only a couple pounds. The lightweight carpet is worth it. Just a little short on funds these days.
                        Fred

Comment

Working...
                        X