• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test drove a 98' T/A

1998 silver trans am
    5.7 liter V-8
    Glass T-tops
    Very clean, had one owner and it was an old man.

They wanted $10,000 for it.

My father was going to buy it for me, but since im only 16 I can't afford the insurence.

What age deos the insurence on a v8 drop in price?

I'm 20 with a perfect record paying 344 for full coverage on the Z, and plpd on my conquest. 244/month is what the camaro costs.

You'll be up there. Supposedly my insurance will drop when I turn 21. But the big drop is when you turn 25.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      I'm 20 with a perfect record paying 344 for full coverage on the Z, and plpd on my conquest. 244/month is what the camaro costs.

You'll be up there. Supposedly my insurance will drop when I turn 21. But the big drop is when you turn 25.
      Ouch I am only 20 and have one fender bender on my record but i am only paying $192 a month for full coverage with a $1000 Deductible but that is under my parents policy. $344 a month is a lot of money for insurance! You must have a pretty decent job to afford the total car cost you get from having both of em.
      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
        You said it. Mine insurance premiums significantly decreased when I hit 25. I only pay $147 a month for full coverage on 3 cars. 1997 Z28, 1998 Chevy Tahoe 4x4, and a 1997 WS6.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieg
          25. It's cheaper if you're married, too.
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

1998 silver trans am
            5.7 liter V-8
            Glass T-tops

My father was going to buy it for me, but since im only 16 I can't afford the insurence.

I'm guessing you don't have your liscense or haven't had it long? This is advice from someone who is 19 and hasn't had there liscense for 3 years yet. Buy a beater car for a year. I know it sucks but wait it out. V8 f-bodies have a lot of power especially LS1's and I will admit I've gotten lucky with my LT1 a few times and saved it but was incredibly close to putting it into a telephone pole, oncoming traffic, ect. I know it is easy to say right now that you will respect the power and all that but you probably won't I know I didn't and theres not many if any teanagers out there who do let alone adults who have been driving for many years. Once you are used to driving in all conditions and have some good experience behind the wheel by yourself, is a good time to start looking. If your dad will buy it straight out consider collision insurance it is around 1\2 of the price of full coverage. I have Meristar and it is under $450 a year for collision and would be around $900 for full coverage. I drove a Jeep Wrangler for about a year and it actually dropped when I got my car not long after I turned 17. I know its hard to hear now and I didn't want to listen to it when I had just gotten my liscense but I had quite a few good friends get into bad accidents and a lot of inexperienced drivers are killed every year from not being able to handle a car and the extra power of a V8 just makes things worse.
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
              I'm guessing you don't have your liscense or haven't had it long? This is advice from someone who is 19 and hasn't had there liscense for 3 years yet. Buy a beater car for a year. I know it sucks but wait it out. V8 f-bodies have a lot of power especially LS1's and I will admit I've gotten lucky with my LT1 a few times and saved it but was incredibly close to putting it into a telephone pole, oncoming traffic, ect. I know it is easy to say right now that you will respect the power and all that but you probably won't I know I didn't and theres not many if any teanagers out there who do let alone adults who have been driving for many years. Once you are used to driving in all conditions and have some good experience behind the wheel by yourself, is a good time to start looking. If your dad will buy it straight out consider collision insurance it is around 1\2 of the price of full coverage. I have Meristar and it is under $450 a year for collision and would be around $900 for full coverage. I drove a Jeep Wrangler for about a year and it actually dropped when I got my car not long after I turned 17. I know its hard to hear now and I didn't want to listen to it when I had just gotten my liscense but I had quite a few good friends get into bad accidents and a lot of inexperienced drivers are killed every year from not being able to handle a car and the extra power of a V8 just makes things worse.
              Agreed. Buying your 16 year old son a 300+ hp car as his first is very dangerous.
              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                Agreed. Buying your 16 year old son a 300+ hp car as his first is very dangerous.
                No doubt. I remember once while working as a saleman at a Chevy Dealership, this guy comes in with his 16 year old daughter and wants to look at Z-28's. I end up selling him a '99 with a few mods, and he hands the keys to his daughter....."Happy Birthday." I was like.....dooood...are you insane? But, to each their own. I just hope she made it to her next B-day with the car intact. I agree with 94 Formula....get a beater and drive that....save your money for a year or two, and then think about getting a V8. My first car was an '81 Accord.....I hated it, but it made me appreciate my V6 Camaro all the more when I bought it brand new. Just be patient, I am 6 months away from being 30 ( ) and I still don't have a V8. You've got time.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Why not get a 3.8 liter V-6 f body? They look just as good, they get good gas mileage, insurance should be cheaper, they've got decent power so they'll help prepare you for a beefier motor and i'm almost certain that the 3.8 is an award winning motor. Might not throw you back in the seat when you put the pedal down but as your first car, it's probably not a good idea to get something that's going to shred the tires. Good luck
                  Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                  SOLD- Kinda miss it
                  94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                  SOLD- Good riddance!
                  2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                    Why not get a 3.8 liter V-6 f body? They look just as good, they get good gas mileage, insurance should be cheaper, they've got decent power so they'll help prepare you for a beefier motor and i'm almost certain that the 3.8 is an award winning motor. Might not throw you back in the seat when you put the pedal down but as your first car, it's probably not a good idea to get something that's going to shred the tires. Good luck
                    ditto that...I almost wrecked my moms GTA when I was 16; I ended up driving a 3.1 bird till I was 18...you don't need all that power so early. 200hp is fine...enough to get you into trouble, but not enough to really get you into trouble...just doesn't look as good base out of the factory.

I'm 22, they won't even insure me with my record....my biggest mistake...keep your record clean. One ticket and it's over...I promise.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                      One ticket and it's over...I promise.
                      Not to mention that if you're racing or messing around and you lose control of the car, you're responsible to any bodily injuries or property damage. If someone gets seriously injured due to something like this....yikes. Ask anyone on the board. We all (no matter how young anyone may be) have our stories.
                      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                      SOLD- Kinda miss it
                      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                      SOLD- Good riddance!
                      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I'm 19 and I already have too many stories. I agree with everyone else....wait a couple years and keep your record clean until then. I know that you're probably thinking that you know what you're doing and what not, but you have to realize that these cars are way different. I remember all this past winter, if I was doing a lane change while accelerating at least decently hard, if I happened to shift during the lane change, my @ss end would slightly kick out on me....even at 50 mph. Granted that was due to a hard shift kit and slippery roads, but the point is I've driven my car enough to know how to easily maintain stability in a situation like that. Even still though, I would prefer to take some sort of driving class just to improve my skills even further.

I suggest getting a beater (or a 6 cyl f-bod), learning how to drive on that, and keep a clean record. When the time comes, get yourself an 8 cylinder, go to an open parking lot, and do donuts, fishtails, etc.... Learn your car well before you take it out on the streets....it's saved me from an accident or two already
                        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Nah.....just hop in and drive it like your dad gave it you!

96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

1998 silver trans am
                            5.7 liter V-8
                            Glass T-tops

Hey man, more power to you. If your father is kind enough to purchase an LS1 Trans Am for you then by all means go for it.

It doesn't matter if you buy a 360 HP TA or a 110 HP honda, you will find a way to take either one of them up to some crazy speeds. It is pretty ignorant to think that just because you buy your kid a 4 banger that they cannot drive it just as wreckless. Sure a TA has the potential to get a little more loose, but when you have a slow car you will want to take it to high speeds just because it won't have the grunt that the TA would.

My Dad bought me an 89 Mustang 5.0, then helped me put a 200 shot on it when I was 18. Sure I wrecked it a few times , but that car taught me alot of repsect and most importantly taught me how to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
                              Ouch I am only 20 and have one fender bender on my record but i am only paying $192 a month for full coverage with a $1000 Deductible but that is under my parents policy. $344 a month is a lot of money for insurance! You must have a pretty decent job to afford the total car cost you get from having both of em.
                              I make around 800-1200/month at my job. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It is a decent paying job for a kid my age with no expenses. when business is good, it's good. When it's slow I slump bigtime. I pay out over 600/month in bills. Still have cash left over for mods, gas, play money etc... I only have a $500 deductible on my raro too, so that makes my rate a little higher.

Insurance also has to do with where you live. My insurance went over 400/month when I had my own policy. I live in dearborn. Nice area. Grandma lives in allen park, nicer area. I switched policies and my address over to hers. That saved me $$$.

Remember, I live in MI. Anybody who lives here knows about governor granholm. She skyrocketed insurance rates in 05. Especially for young drivers. She also made traffic violations VERY serious.

I got pulled over for no reason. Cop said it was a routine stop. Had an expired proof. I hadn't put the new one in the glove box yet, it was on my kitchen table. I take the proof to the PD the very next morning, 10 am, about 8 hours after the incident. Pay 30 bucks at the PD, im like whatever, just happy it's over with.... 300 bill from the state comes a couple weeks later saying non insured drivers aren't tolerated or something blah blah. I WAS insured, my proof was just expired. She's a quack. I got out of it by writing her letters and making phone calls. She wrote me back and said she waived the fine.
                              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                              X