A thermostat question, if you please:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thermostat question, if you please:

What is the temperature setting of the stock thermostat in a 1998 Trans Am?

I'm getting ready to flush and refill the coolant system (and replace all the hoses) and will likely replace the stock thermostat with one of a lower setting.

Thanks.
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington
    What is the temperature setting of the stock thermostat in a 1998 Trans Am?

I'm getting ready to flush and refill the coolant system (and replace all the hoses) and will likely replace the stock thermostat with one of a lower setting.

Thanks.
    being an x lt1 owner...i never paid attention, other than i heard the ls1 folks were going with 180's...some 160's....

remember Rog, if you dont reprogram your fans...the only time its going to run cooler is on the highway at speed...in traffic, its going to be the same as the stock stat.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Stock is 180 - a lot of owners switch to 160. I am being told I should swap to a 160. It is getting computer tuned next week.
      Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

The LS1 t'tsat is expensive because it includes a complete housing.... I think about $60. It is possible to alter the temperature setting of the stock t'stat to as low as 168degF, by placing a spacer between the wax pellet and the thermostat piston. The "free mod" is outlined on page 58 of the Chris Endres "Chevy LS1/LS6 Peformance" book.

I thought that when GM returned the LS1 to "conventional" cooling they would have changed the thermostat to a higher temperature, although perhaps using the inlet side location for the t'stat alters that slightly. Again, the Endres book indicates its a 195degF stocker. Aftermarket catalogs offer 180degF and 160degF replacements. Its the LT1 reverse flow cooling that comes with the 180degF stock 'stat.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

This is useful information.
          R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Working...
          X