Valve seal problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve seal problem

This isn't an f-body question but im hoping that someone on here can help me out anyway. Im rebuilding the 454 out of my blazer and when i went to do the heads i noticed the valve seals that came with the rebuild kit aren't like the ones that I took off of the engine. The ones that were on there were kind of like o-rings with springs around them, but they sealed to the top of the valve guides and didn't move. In the rebuild kit i got a set of umbrella seals that don't seal to anything but the valve stem. they go down over the valve guides, but contact at all, and they move up and down with the valve. I asked one of the parts guys at work to look up the OE seals and he got me the same type of seals that came in the rebuild kit. to me it just doesn't seem like it would work right. if anybody knows anything about this please help me out because i've gotta get this POS truck back together. Its been sitting apart in my driveway since about november and my dad's starting to get mad.

thanks, Kenny
    LOUD2000T/A
    '00 Trans Am M6, K&N filter, Airbox Lid, F.A.S.T. LS-X Intake, Stainlessworks offroad y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, Hypertech programming, 17" Torque Thrust II wheels, 12.97@113; '87 Monte Carlo SS; '91 Sonoma V6 4x4.

Return them and ask for positive seals - they push down over teh guides & don't move with the valve. Don't get teflon, stick with silicone, polyalate or Viton. Viton (colored brown) is the best for high temp and is often used on exhaust valves seals even if polyalate is used on intakes. Umbrella seals are usually made out of silicone. Nitrile is succeptable to high temps and will harden with age - don't get nitrile if you can help it, although it is OK for a daily driver.

Comment

Working...
    X