Pulling the engine from the top.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling the engine from the top.

This weekend I'm going to begin pulling my engine. I have a cherry picker and am going to take it out the top. I made up a list of what I need to remove before I take it out but any sugestions or telling me anything I'm missing would be greatly appreciated.
    -hood
    -unbolt transmission
    -take off headers
    -water pump
    -opti
    -alternator
    -fans, radiator, ac condensor
    -unbolt motor mounts

I know there has to be a lot more to it. What am I missing?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Originally posted by 94 formula
    This weekend I'm going to begin pulling my engine. I have a cherry picker and am going to take it out the top. I made up a list of what I need to remove before I take it out but any sugestions or telling me anything I'm missing would be greatly appreciated.
    -hood
    -unbolt transmission
    -take off headers
    -water pump
    -opti
    -alternator
    -fans, radiator, ac condensor
    -unbolt motor mounts

I know there has to be a lot more to it. What am I missing?
    Sensor and harness connectors (make sure to unplug every single sensor)
    Starter and/or electrical connections
    Recommend pulling off the oil pressure sensor to prevent it from being broken
    Coolant crossover tube to gain extra cowl clearance
    Power steering pump/ AC
    Fuel Rail (just lay it aside)
    Heater hoses from water pump
    Intake ducting
    Throttle linkage /cruise control cable
    Brake booster vacuum hose
    Steering univerasal linkage (just makes things easier)

If you just have stock manfolds they can stay on. Water pump can stay on too with the radiator being out. Condenser can stay in put just be careful not to smash it.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head for now.

Comment

Wow I was forgetting quite a bit. I've never pulled one out of a f-body and sorta feel over my head right now. I'll be having my brother and a friend help me pull it out. How long do you think it will take? I have LT headers btw so they're going to have to come off. When you say intake ducting you just mean the elbow right? Should I just disconnect my sensors from my pcm or from the engine?
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
        Wow I was forgetting quite a bit. I've never pulled one out of a f-body and sorta feel over my head right now. I'll be having my brother and a friend help me pull it out. How long do you think it will take? I have LT headers btw so they're going to have to come off. When you say intake ducting you just mean the elbow right? Should I just disconnect my sensors from my pcm or from the engine?
        Yes, just the elbow from the TB. Disconnect the sensors from the motor. Some of the commonly missed ones are A/C compressor, knock sensor, coolant temp sensor in side of head, and crank sensor.

Once you get everything disconnected it won't take very long. You can either pull the intake manifold and use the intake bolt threads for the lifting point, or you can just screw in a bolt on the front of one head and the back of the other head. Pretty straightforward. Just go slow and easy.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the ground braids and wire. Make sure they are disconnected as well. Also the small bracket for the tranny cooler hard lines.

Comment

Motor pull

I recently pulled the motor on my 95 Z, and we had to pull the intake and heads off to get the motor out. Same thing going in. Did not take out the AC condenser though. These motors are designed to go in from the bottom. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Vince
            I recently pulled the motor on my 95 Z, and we had to pull the intake and heads off to get the motor out. Same thing going in. Did not take out the AC condenser though. These motors are designed to go in from the bottom. Good luck.
            An LT1 will easily come out of a 4th Gen F-body without removing the heads or intake. Not sure why you had to pull the heads to remove the motor??

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I would like to be able to take it out the bottom but don't have the lift to do it.

Comment

take it from sum1 who pulled an ls1 out of a 4th gen camaro from the top... all u need 2 do is take the intake off and all the electrical stuff and the usual just tighten the chain so the front of the motor is coming out 1st n the motor will be at an angle and as u jack it u7p with the cherry picker u have to pull back u might have to adjust the chain a few times so it come out right .
                1967 Camaro "Project"
                1972 Chevelle "454"
                1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Working...
                X