Fuel Pump fuse location?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump fuse location?

Anyone know where it is located on 97 WS6? I want to rule this out before I replace the pump.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

wanna rule out the pump? have some1 crank it while u hid the tank wit w rubber or plastic hammer. if it starts up, u need the pump, if not, well consider urself a lucky man
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

The fuse will either be on the driverside under the hood in the fuse box or on the far left (driverside) of the dash. When you open the door you will see it. Also buy a fuel pressure tester before you put the money into buying a new pump that will let you know if it is the culprit of your problems.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
        wanna rule out the pump? have some1 crank it while u hid the tank wit w rubber or plastic hammer. if it starts up, u need the pump, if not, well consider urself a lucky man
        This can be a hit or miss diagnostic evaluation.

Originally posted by RyanB58
        Anyone know where it is located on 97 WS6? I want to rule this out before I replace the pump.

You really need to put a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on the Schrader valve and look for consistent and sufficient fuel pressure.

Also using a multimeter, check to see that you are getting proper voltage at a point as close as you can get to the pump from underneath.

It really helps to briefly descibe your sysptoms so that people can accurately provide you with assistance. What are your symptoms? When is the last time you replaced your inline filter under the car?

Comment

Sorry, I could have been more elaborate. The car one afternoon suddenly started stumbling when I tried to get on the throttle. I got home, went out an hour later to leave and the car would crank till the battery was dead, but never turned over. I did check the fuel pressure with a guage and got nothing at all. I just wanted to check the fuse and wiring harness at pump to rule everything out before I did the dirty work. It is getting good fire in case that is what you are thinking.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

Oh yeah, I have had the car less than 10,000 miles so I have never replaced filter. The car has 108,000 miles.

Comment

Oh yeah, I have had the car less than 10,000 miles so I have never replaced filter. The car has 108,000 miles.
              Do that first just to rule it out.

If you have absolutely no pressure whatsover on the gauge, then it could be an electrical problem. Usually even if a pump is on it's way out it will still provide some pressure even if the check ball is failing as well. This may not always be the case though.

The fuel pump relay is located behind the driver's side kick panel. Remove the plastic kick panel and listen to see if the fuel pump relay is "clicking" when you turn the key to the on position. If it does not there is likely a short in the ignition/fuel pump relay circuit.

Another bypass test you can do is to short the fuel pump prime connector located right next to the PCM. It is a small pigtail connector all by itself. It will be red on your car. Just apply a 12V source direct from the battery to this prime connector and listen to see if you can hear the pump running.

Comment

Thanks FastTa!!!
                I'll try that in the morning and update.

Comment

Thanks FastTa!!!
                  I'll try that in the morning and update.
                  BTW there should be some pics of both of these things on Shoebox's website.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html

Comment

fastTA,
                    The relay is ticking, so that is working ok. I cannot hear the pump running. The bypass test with the pigtail connector, is the pump bad if I hear it, or if I dont? Not exactly sure how I can test this, but I see where it is.

Comment

fastTA,
                      The relay is ticking, so that is working ok. I cannot hear the pump running. The bypass test with the pigtail connector, is the pump bad if I hear it, or if I dont? Not exactly sure how I can test this, but I see where it is.
                      Just get a paperclip and insert it into the fuel pump prime connector and then take a shielded wire or even a set of jumper cables and make contact between the positive side of the battery and the paperclip. You should here the pump running. You can also sometimes "bang" the bottom of the gas tank while the pump is receiving power and it will sometimes kick on. Either way if the pump does not run with the prime connector being powered or if the pump will kick on when "banging" the gas tank, it sounds like time for a fuel pump.

There have been some recent threads about cutting the access door to get to the fuel pump easier. A search should turn up some results.

Good luck.

Comment

Going to the garage now to try it. That looks super easy to cut that hole to access the fuel pump. I think if it is the pump I am going to get the Racetronix kit. You like that setup?

Comment

Fuel Pump here I come. Going to get out the angle grinder and start surgery. I guess I will order the Racetronix kit tonite.

Thanks for all your help Kevin!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X