Time to quit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to quit

I guess not that it is not working still it is time to quit doing it my self and try to get a new one . I have a a place amcco trans that would rebuild it and throw a shift kit with the vet servos and brass internals for 1,600. Good or not ?

That's about an average price, but do some searching. I've heard a lot of bad stories about Aamco. Look at some of the local shops, ask around (esp. at parts shops and speed shops) and see who's got the best rep. They're gonna be the ones to take it to. Good luck man, keep me posted
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Not sure about the Aamco there, but the Aamco's around here are way overpriced. Anytime you use a large chain for transmission repairs you are going to pay much, much more than at a reputable small business.

From your previous post it sounds like a valvebody related problem. However you can verify the front pump pressure fairly easily to rule that out if you like.

Was this your first "operation" on a valvebody?

Comment

middle of the road. A basic rebuild should be between 700 and 1000 for a bench rebuild..... you pull it, bring it to them. The big thing is to shop around various shops. You want a hardened sun shell (stock is prone to cracking), a 23 element low sprag (spreads the load out over a larger surface), better clutches and bands, a transgo shift kit. A trans cooler you can install yourself. That should run you less than $1500, you can install it yourself and the trans should really last. That configuration in mine ran about $1400. Not only that, the shop may give you creadit for a second core...... work them like if you were trading cars.

Comment

Here is another option http://www.transmissioncenter.net/
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Wow ...

Thanks guys. Ya i think that that that they are way over priced to . I can get a new one for that much. But i apprecaite it and i will keep everyone posted. On how this long time thing turns out

Comment

Another tip

I'm in charge of service for close to 800 vehicles. Of those, about 20% are some form of GM O.D. automatic. I can get GM remanufactured cheaper than AAMCO (that I use often if I need it done on the road), and they come with a 36 month/50K mile warranty (that includes labor!) if it ever fails. Just paid $1250.00 plus a couple of gaskets and seals for a 4L60E for my 1500 Suburban that has all the latest upgrades and I can forget about it. That's the way I'd go.

Hans
              The Larry Shinoda Collection: '65 Corvair Monza 140, '69 L-68 Corvette, '70 BOSS 302

In progress: '88 GTA, '62 409 Impala, '72 RX-3

Comment

Working...
              X