Ordered a Spec 3+ clutch today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered a Spec 3+ clutch today

The Spec 3+ is fairly new and not on their website yet. I also ordered their steel flywheel. The Spec 3+ I believe handles even more TQ and is supposed to be much easier for street driving. Best of both worlds.

After installing the heads and cam, it was too much for the stock clutch. I was at the track for the first time since the heads and cam and when I did the burnout for my first run, there was lots of smoke, but unfortunately the wheels weren't spinning. The clutch just wouldn't handle it at all. Ruined my day.

can't wait to get the Spec 3+ installed.

Kevin Villier 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", T-Tops, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, BMR STB, chrome-moly panhard rod and LCA's, SLP SFC's, PPC LT's w/ RT hi-flo cats and hi-flo Y, TEA Stage 1.5 5.3L heads, TR224 cam, ASP pulley, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid, Holley Power-Shot filter, Mallory polished MAF ends, 4.10 gears.

Louisville, KY

SSOA F02-0186
    KY F-Bodies Unlimited

I think the spec 3 is a puck disk. Not very good on the street if I recall. Stage 2 is perfect.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

He put in Spec 3+ and said it was fairly new and not on the site yet. I too have heard that a spec 3 is way too harsh for the street. I don't shop for clutches being I have an auto, but I wonder if there is a difference between the spec 3 and the spec 3+ ?
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

A friend of mine told me about the difference in the 3 and the 3+ clutch and how the 3+ is much more street friendly than the 3 and handles more TQ than the 3. In talking to one of the guys at Spec, he confirmed everything that the friend of mine told me about it. My friend had installed a 3+ in his car and had the 3 in his car previously.

Kevin Villier 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", T-Tops, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, BMR STB, chrome-moly panhard rod and LCA's, SLP SFC's, PPC LT's w/ RT hi-flo cats and hi-flo Y, TEA Stage 1.5 5.3L heads, TR224 cam, ASP pulley, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid, Holley Power-Shot filter, Mallory polished MAF ends, 4.10 gears.

Louisville, KY

SSOA F02-0186
        KY F-Bodies Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin V 2002 SS
          A friend of mine told me about the difference in the 3 and the 3+ clutch and how the 3+ is much more street friendly than the 3 and handles more TQ than the 3. In talking to one of the guys at Spec, he confirmed everything that the friend of mine told me about it. My friend had installed a 3+ in his car and had the 3 in his car previously.
          Ah, so they are different. Well I hope everything works out good for you, and I hope it's a nice street friendly clutch as well.

Congrats on the new toy
          black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Sounds good. The guys at SPEC are really cool. Where'd you get that clutch and what'ya pay, if you don't mind saying? I want the streetability of S2 with the grab of the 3.
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

I ordered it direct from Spec Clutch. The total for the clutch and flywheel is a little over $700, inluding shipping. The Spec 3+ is more expensive than the 3 is.

Louisville, KY

SSOA F02-0186
              KY F-Bodies Unlimited

Comment

I did the spec 3 clutch awhile back. It took a few weeks to get used to it, but its much better than what I had before, the stock oem, LUK, and Centerforce.

The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

I ordered it direct from Spec Clutch. The total for the clutch and flywheel is a little over $700, inluding shipping. The Spec 3+ is more expensive than the 3 is.

Wow. That is an awesome deal. How'd you get it all so cheap?

Comment

didnt sum1 post a vid with sum1 attempting a burnout but their was a bunch of smoke but the wheels never spun... lol man that sux hope this one takes the abuse
                    1967 Camaro "Project"
                    1972 Chevelle "454"
                    1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Uh-oh - another stock clutch failure story - mine is going to be toast I can see it coming. I just want it to last until next spring.
                      Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Working...
                      X