1988 5.0 TBI Cooling Fan Not Coming on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 5.0 TBI Cooling Fan Not Coming on

Does anyone know if 1988 Camaro's have a fan relay and where it is at? When I bought my camaro, the fan was wired directly to the Ignition so it would turn on when the car was turned on. I just want it to work the way it should and not run all the time. Thanks for all your replies in advance.
    1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
    2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Yep, you have a coolant fan relay. It should be located in between the brake booster/master cylinder and the driver's side fender. There should be a small black metal bracket that is holding 2 relays in it. The one closest to the brake booster is the fuel pump relay (with 5 wires) and the one closest to the fender is the coolant fan relay (has 4 wires). I can get a picture if you need it, just let me know.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Another thing that you might want to check would be the fan switch which is in the passenger side head.
      Chris

1991 Camaro 3.1 V6 pretty much stock

http://www.cardomain.com/id/clwilson

Comment

It seems like there is also one located alongside the radiator on the passenger side about 1/4 of the way down. At least there is on my 87.

Comment

Cooling Fan

Thanks for all of your replies again. Will check all of those items this weekend, and wish for the best. I really think its the fan relay since it was re-wired and the colors don't match the car's original wiring. Might ask for some help figuring that one out.
          2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

Fan Still not Coming On

Ok, this is getting very annoying. I checked and replaced the relay, and all the wires match up. I replaced the temperature sensor, and the fan will still not come on. Any other ideas? A friend suggested having the computer checked to make sure it is telling the fan to come on. Don't know what else to look for. If I jump the relay, the fan will turn on, so something is not telling the relay to kick the fan on. I assume it's the ECM right? I would appreciate any thoughts. It does not have a relay near the radiator. Thanks again for your replies in advance.

Comment

Here's a link to a thread in another forum that has a picture of the fan switch on the passenger side head. Hope this helps.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...hreadid=124917
              Chris

Comment

One thing to remember is that picture would have been taken from under the car. You can't see it from the top of the engine.
                Chris

Comment

if u jump it, it comes on? so im guessing all the senors are working, maybe the ecu like u siad is a lil wacked out, see if u can do a trade real quick or get a scan tool.
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by aldaran
                    A friend suggested having the computer checked to make sure it is telling the fan to come on. I assume it's the ECM right?
                    The fan is not controlled by the ECM on a 3rd gen. It is completely regulated by the fan control switch that is in the bottom of the block water jacket. This is why to change fan on/off temps you have to buy a new switch from Hypertech etc. Check your wiring, and maybe replace the switch. Should not be too expensive at the local parts haus.

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
                    95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
                    Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LT1
                      The fan is not controlled by the ECM on a 3rd gen.
                      This not exactly true. On my TPI both fans are controled by the ECM. Im not sure about the TBI but in 88 I think there is a fail safe plus an ECM control. I will check my computer for the info when I get to work.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                      6.2L/382.97 ci
                      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                      WCT-5 speed
                      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                      Boss MS 18" Rims
                      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                      Custom Dual exhaust
                      1LE upgrade
                      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

DeWynter is right, the TPI ECMs control the fans. But, the TBI ECMs do not control the fan in any way. There is a coolant fan switch in the passenger side cylinder head that operates the fan once it reachs a certain temp, 238* if I remember correctly. Either that or turning on the AC.

aldaran, I responded to your PM.
                        1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
                        Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
                        Trans: TH700R4
                        Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Fan Working Fine Now

Well, the fan is up and running. Thanks to Benm109, the Fan Switch was the problem. Replaced with a Corvette's Aftermarket to turn on at a cooler temp and works like a champ.

Comment

Working...
                          X