wheel hop....???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel hop....???

My car is suffering wheel hop at highway speeds and also when i am turning and accelerating at the same time. I was wondering if anyone if experiencing this problem, and if so, how can this be fixed. I was wondering if it might be lower control arms but no quit sure.....

Thanks in advance, Nick
    1999 camaro v6 bright red with pacesetter headers, custom fab catback, high flow cat, ram air intake, corbeau racing seats and 5-point harnesses, b&m short shifter, 10" wide rubber, kenny brown subframe connectors, koni single adjustable shocks, eibach pro kit springs(1.25" drop), spohn front and rear sway bars, BMR adjustable panhard rod, spohn low control arms

Originally posted by camarokkidd
    My car is suffering wheel hop at highway speeds and also when i am turning and accelerating at the same time. I was wondering if anyone if experiencing this problem, and if so, how can this be fixed. I was wondering if it might be lower control arms but no quit sure.....

Thanks in advance, Nick
    Either you have one of the most powerful V6's in the world, or you are describing something other than actual wheelhop at highway speeds. Wheelhop is when the power of the motor overcomes the traction of the tires and they break loose and the suspension temporarily changes its geometry. Then when the tires grab again for a moment the goemetry again loads and changes it's geometry once again. This back and forth or oscillating sequence is hard on parts. Wheelhop literally causes the tires to bounce up and down very violently.

Aftermarket LCA's can help, but they can also hurt depending on the type. Wheelhop can orginate as early as the motor mounts and as far back as the rear sway bar bushings.

Can you decribe your symptoms in a little more detail?

Possibly a clutch problem?

Comment

Lower control arms and panhard bar fixed that problem.
      96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

I'm with Kevin... I can't really understand what is happening when you describe "wheel hop at highway speeds." Are you saying when you press the accelerator, the wheels start to lose traction? To me, wheel hop involves the wheels losing traction on launch, as the body unloads the tires in response to the forward force, the tires lift, lose traction, the body loses its forward momentum, reloads the tires, it gains traction, and it starts all over again. The most common cure for "wheel hop" on a 3rd or 4th Gen F-Body is a set of LCA relocation brackets. But I don't think what you are describing is necessarily wheel hop.

As far as "turning and accelerating at the same time", do you mean one wheel will break lose and lose traction? That would be a symptom of not having a limited slip differential (did your V6 come with the optional posi?), or a posi that is worn. If its a problem with sudden locking of the differential, you might need to add the GM LSD additive, or check to make sure you don't have a locker or a spool .
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I noticed in his signature he has "10 inch wide rubber". Any chance he's seeing some interference or some other effect caused by the wheel/tires size?

What exactly are you feeling when you get "wheel hop". What exactly do you describe as "wheel hop". Traditional wheel hop is when the wheels literally hop up and down.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Hmmmmmm..... " 10 inch wide rubber " could mean a set of 255's..... = 10" section width, or it could be a set of 10" DOT slicks like ET Streets.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

sorry about all the confusion guys lol. The wheel hop i am talking about is when i am turning rather tight the back wheels will start to skip up and down and i lose a little traction. I will be turning tight a 30 - 40 mph and the car tires will skip up and down a little to then stop once the turning isnt as severe. I hope this helps clarify the problem.....
              1999 camaro v6 bright red with pacesetter headers, custom fab catback, high flow cat, ram air intake, corbeau racing seats and 5-point harnesses, b&m short shifter, 10" wide rubber, kenny brown subframe connectors, koni single adjustable shocks, eibach pro kit springs(1.25" drop), spohn front and rear sway bars, BMR adjustable panhard rod, spohn low control arms

Comment

It sounds to me like like somthing that would happen with a limited slip differential. Did they offer that on the v6 in 99? If they do does yours have one or did the previous owner maybe add one or something like a locker or a spool like fred said. First thing you should do is figure out what kind of rear end you have.
                1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

if when i am at a dead stop and i floor it and i hear a thud and at the same time i feal the "thud" would this be wheel hop?

Comment

No, that sounds more like a broken tranny mount.
                    Fred

Comment

Working...
                    X