89 camaro computer replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 camaro computer replacement

I need help with my car. Recently the electrical system has stoped completly. The headlights/fan/ignition/and starter still work. thats it. nothing else will work. nothing inside the car. The fuel pump doesnt work so i cant start it. I had it fixed once and it did it again about a month or two later. When it was fixed i was told i need a new computer that it was going out and this sorta thing could and probably would happen again. Well it did. So i was wondering if any of you guys had these symptoms and knew if it really was the computer and if it is could you tell me where it is located on the car? Also would it be too hard to replace myself? thanks in advance

does any one know where the computer is? thats all i need to know rite now please help me

Comment

I think its on the passenger side up under or near the dash
      97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
      In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

ok thanks. looks like ill be ripping that out.

Comment

Yep, the computer is located in the dash on the passenger side. To get to it all you need to do is remove three 7mm screws and maybe 1 or 2 nuts (it's been a while since I've messed with mine). Once the cover is off, you see a large metal rectangular box either bolted or velcroed in with a ton or wires coming out of it. I'll see if I can get a picture for you.

But, honestly, it sounds to me like the problem is electrical, and not necessarily the computer. Mind if I ask what they fixed the first time to make it stop for a while? Just curious.
          1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
          Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
          Trans: TH700R4
          Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

I'm not certain about this but I thought when a computer went out it went out not it was going out. I'm with Benm109 it definetly sounds electrical. The radio and interior lights aren't controlled by the computer they should still work for you. I'd look at your fuses also.
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

all fuses are good. i dont know what he did when he fixed it the first time. i wish i did.........but thanks for your help. if you have any ideas what it could be thatd be awsome. thanks again. ill try to find out what he did.

Comment

maybe just a bad ground somewhere? because nothing has power from behind the firewall it seems..........

Comment

Did you check the fuse up near the battery? It's kinda hidden in between the battery and the coolant overflow tank on the fender. That fuse is easily forgotten (at least to me). Also, have you checked the fusible links? I think there are 3 of them and they are located above the starter.

I'd suggest also posting your problem over at www.thirdgen.org, maybe in the Tech/General board or the Electronics board. I know people have had similar problems to yours on there in the past, but I can't remember what causes it. If we can't help you, they can.
                  1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
                  Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
                  Trans: TH700R4
                  Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

thanks. i checked that fuse by the battery but not a fusible link........what do you mean by that?

Comment

Well it seems to me that the only things without power are conected to the fuse box. soooooooo is it posible that the power could have been lost or the ground has been lost?

Comment

Working...
                      X