big block in a 3rd gen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big block in a 3rd gen

i have a 88 formula and i have a 396 big block i wanna put in it my question is does any body know if theres any thing that would hold me up that id have to mod. i know the exhaust is a yes and other then that everything should bolt up but i need to know if i need to buy a special oil pan or not

I don't personally know, but I know of a place that would. Check out the Thirdgen.org Engine Swap board. There is a sticky on putting a big block in a 3rd gen, and if that can't answer your questions, I'm sure a search could find all the info you'd need. From what I understand, it's a fairly straightforward swap. Good luck.

Here's a link to it: http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/forumdis...?s=&forumid=20
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

You know, I seem to remember an article in one of the mags that was talking about some of the skunkworks projects at GM several years ago. They had the real 25th Heritage Camaro, the magnesium light weight vette, and a big block 3rd gen. They put a 454 Crate motor in there. If memory serves, the only real issue is that the big block is so much wider than a small block, you would need to remove the engine to change the spark plugs. Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
      95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
      Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

I am also thinkin about mating a 3rd gen with a 454...Keep us posted on how yours turns out. I have seen these cars around so I know it could be done..
        Good Luck
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

I have been part of a project car that got a big block. Besides never being able to change the spark plugs its all good, oh and the custom headers. But everything fits fine. A 396 would be a great choise as its a little higher reving than a 454. The other thing we had to do was get a hevier set of springs for the front. Not to big of a problem as there are piles of different springs available.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror