lt1 to ls1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lt1 to ls1

I was just woundering if anyone knew. Is it possible to put an ls1 motor in a 97 ram air with out butchering the car?

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Alright I'm not sure about this but I'm going to repeat what I've read here, I don't think it can be done easly because LT1 engines are set up differently than LS1's. But I'm not sure maybe one of the other guys who actually knows something can help you out
    Beau

97 Red Firebird 3.8L stock (for sale) & Now a 97 Firehawk

Comment

Yeah Im sure it will fit but I dont know about the wiring or the motor mounts or anything like that.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
      2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Why not just bore and stroke it to a 383?
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

At minimum you are going to need:

LS1 K-member
          LS1 Rack & Pinion and linkage
          LS1 Engine, PCM, Engine control harness
          LS1 Radiator and fans
          LS1 Trans mount

There may be some conlicts with the ABS as well. Maybe a few relay swaps too.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
            At minimum you are going to need:

LS1 K-member
            LS1 Rack & Pinion and linkage
            LS1 Engine, PCM, Engine control harness
            LS1 Radiator and fans
            LS1 Trans mount

There may be some conlicts with the ABS as well. Maybe a few relay swaps too.
            Good news!!! The trans mount is the same.
            Bad news, the trans to engine mount is different so you'll need a bellhousing too oh and the trans is different so you'll need one of those.

I bet a 383 is sounding better now.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Is there not any way to bolt an m6 out or an lt1 onto an ls1 motor?
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

stroke it........

clarance carter..........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                  Is there not any way to bolt an m6 out or an lt1 onto an ls1 motor?
                  Go http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/6sppage.html and scroll down to the dimension section.
                  It looks like the input shaft is shorter on the LS1 cars which means the LT1 trans would never seat on the bellhousing.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                    stroke it........

clarance carter..........
                    How about "Stroke Me" from Sammy Hagar.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      Good news!!! The trans mount is the same.
                      Bad news, the trans to engine mount is different so you'll need a bellhousing too oh and the trans is different so you'll need one of those.

I bet a 383 is sounding better now.
                      I was just going by what a few guys had said about doing a LS1 swap into a LT1 original body car. They said that there LT1 trans mount was in a slightly different spot than on a LS1 car.

Believe it or not the AUTO bellhousing bolt pattern is completely swappable from an LS1 to an LT1. The main difference being that bellhousings made specifically for LS1's have the provision for the 7th bolt up top. The water passages on a LS1 block run differently in the back of the block as opposed to a SBC/LT1. TCI, PATC, and several other popular trans shops argued this with me until I showed them a picture of an LS1 trans and converter bolted to my Vortec in my 1998 Tahoe which has an identical bolt pattern as the LT1. You just have to jig notch the flywheel 2.5mm outward on the converter to fllexplate bolt holes and that is it. They said "Oh, I guess it WILL work!"

Now when you do just the opposite and install an LT1/SBC original tranny to an LS1 motyor, you just need the spacer. You can leave the top (7th) bolt out. Even several of my local small tranny shops have done several 700R4's and TH400's on LS1's. When you do that all you need is a small spacer to raise the tranny up just a little to align it properly. Then of course the appropriate crossmember, and if auto, a modified flexplate dustcover.

Comment

Cool. Does someone sell a spacer plate?

Comment

I think PATC does. www.transmissioncenter.net/highperflist.htm

Comment

With all the money you'd be spending on an LS1 swap, why not just bolt on one of these?-
                            http://www.ststurbo.com/home
                            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                            SOLD- Kinda miss it
                            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                            SOLD- Good riddance!
                            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I'm thinking of doing the LS1 swap if no one wants to buy mine when I'm done fixing the cam bearings. I know many guys say build a 383 but an LS1 takes bolt ons and a cam to hit low 12's. LS1's are amazing engines with great heads and they don't have an opti. If there was a kit out there to make the swap affordable I'd bet a lot of guys would be doing it.
                              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Working...
                              X