2000 Camaro Fuel Gage Reads Full

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Camaro Fuel Gage Reads Full

My 3800 Camaro had just turned on the check gages light for low fuel, and when I stopped at a traffic light, the gage started to climb back to full. I of course filled the tank since I knew it was running low, but now it has 180 miles on the tank and still indicates full. Has anyone had this problem, and is it a simple fix or does the tank need to come down and replace the float in the tank? Thanks in advance for all your replies.
    1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
    2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

How many times did you drive it to put that 180 miles on it? If your check guages light is on and all of your guages are reading normal your fine. If it won't go away try pulling the pcm fuse under the hood for 15 minutes that should take care of it.
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Gage Reads Full

I have driven it all this week with the problem. The check gages turned off when it moved back to full. One of my other friends is having the same problem with her Buick. Her's said it had a 1/4 of a tank, and left her stranded since she was really in empty. The car works fine, it's just that I know it doesn't have that much gas, and will use my Trip to keep track of it for the next fill-up (every 300 miles). Thanks for your reply in advance.
      2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

Originally posted by aldaran
        My 3800 Camaro had just turned on the check gages light for low fuel, and when I stopped at a traffic light, the gage started to climb back to full. I of course filled the tank since I knew it was running low, but now it has 180 miles on the tank and still indicates full. Has anyone had this problem, and is it a simple fix or does the tank need to come down and replace the float in the tank? Thanks in advance for all your replies.
        Sounds like the sending unit in the tank is going bad. I have had that problem on 2 GM cars in the last few years..
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

When my fuel tank sending unit died, the gauge read "FULL" all the time. It is a VERY expensive replacement, because you can not simply buy a new sending unit. You have to buy the complete fuel pump support unit, including the hose connections, harness connections for the pump and the sending unit, and the little float sender riveted to the support bracket. About $250 from your friendly dealer, a bit less if you use one of the recommended online GM parts dealers.

There is no connection between the gauges, "Check Gauges" light, and the PCM, so don't waste your time pulling any fuses.

My wife's Grand Cherokee has the opposite problem. When I know the tank is full, and we're just driving along, all of a sudden the guage will drop to empty, the "Low Fuel" light will come on, and the beeper will go off. Stays there a few seconds, and shoots back up toward "Full". Only happens when the gauge is between 1/2 and 3/4, so I figure its a dead spot on the sending unit rheostat.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

2000 Camaro Fuel Gage

I guess I will use my trip to keep me up to date on the fuel, and save some cash to have then entire pump replaced. Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Mine's messed up. I get 100 miles before it drops below Full, and then I get 100-125 miles, between Full and Empty and when it get 1/4 tank I got about 10 miles to get to a gas station. I was told that it's a common problem and if I replaced the sending unit that it would end up doing it again, so I've just been going off the trip and reseting it after every fill up.
              Richard Harvey Jr.
              '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

Try this.......

Since this is the first time my car has done this, I heard gunk build up on the float causes it to stick. I went ahead and purchased STP complete fuel system cleaner (silver bottle), and on my fill-up, the gage started to respond normally again after 50 miles. It could have just been starting to stick, so you may want to dump one in the tank every oil change to prevent it. I'll keep you up to date if it keeps working right. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  My wife's Grand Cherokee has the opposite problem. When I know the tank is full, and we're just driving along, all of a sudden the guage will drop to empty, the "Low Fuel" light will come on, and the beeper will go off. Stays there a few seconds, and shoots back up toward "Full". Only happens when the gauge is between 1/2 and 3/4, so I figure its a dead spot on the sending unit rheostat.
                  My caprice was doing the same thing as your jeep...I posted some pics here a while back and also on the impalassforum.com...
                  See it
                  here
                  Greg W. in West Michigan
                  1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                  1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                  1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                  1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                  1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                  <Motor out

Comment

I just tried what aldaran recommended (STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner) and it appears to be an almost immediate fix. I had about 50 miles less than a full tank when I put mine in, and the gauge was reading completely over full. After driving it about one mile, the gauge went to where it should be, and reacted normally thereafter (another 20 miles or so). Lately it had been reading full, but if I sat at idle at a traffic light, it would wander to where it was supposed to be, and then go back up to full and stick. It didn't do that anymore after I added it, so maybe that's an answer. Sure hope so, because I don't want to spend the money to get the whole "system" replaced.

2001 Camaro V6, stock

Comment

Still Working..........

Well, as I promised to keep you all up to date, my gage is still working correctly. I will continue to add a fuel system cleaner at every oil change from now on as preventive maintenance. Glad it worked for you flyerpoot.

Comment

I have the exzact same problem.. I will try that cleaner

Comment

you know, I had the same problem back in 2004. The gauge said full for almost 200 miles before it started to go down sometimes. The dealer sold me a new pump - Injuneer, are you saying that you can buy just that support/harness/float part or is this including the actual pump itself? The whole unit costs about 500, but the dealer did not suggest the cheaper part.

At any rate, once that was replaced it was back to normal again and ever since. I'd say the gauge is fairly accurate but the pump is probably one of the most expensive fuel pumps to replace. I wish I would have tried that STP stuff.
                          Bruce
                          01 Camaro

Comment

The pump support bracket, including the hard lines, wiring harnesses and gauge float/sender are available as a separate assembly, without the pump. At least is was in 2001 when mine was replaced. I'll see if I can find the invoice with the part number. I believe the list price of the assembly was about $240.
                            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                            X