Delteq - Done!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delteq - Done!!!!

Several days, and bruises later, I got my delteq installed this afternoon. The Trans Am and me are one now, we've bled together.. :-)

Hats off to Delteq and Elitesparkplugs.com!! I have never put on an aftermarket part that was this well thought out. With the exception of the bolts that came for the coils, everything was plugNplay. No cutting, no splicing, no fabrication. Jim at Elite made me the best plug wires I have ever seen before. I used to swear by MSD wires, but these things are works of art. Even my shabby crimping job looks good. The car runs much stronger thoughout the RPM band now, and pull to redline is much better than it was. So far, I love it.

Did I mention that I no longer have wire routing that was designed by Hitler?

I will post pics a little later on, right now, have to go drive!!!!! See ya

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
    95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
    Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Originally posted by WICKED LT1
    Several days, and bruises later, I got my delteq installed this afternoon. The Trans Am and me are one now, we've bled together.. :-)

Hats off to Delteq and Elitesparkplugs.com!! I have never put on an aftermarket part that was this well thought out. With the exception of the bolts that came for the coils, everything was plugNplay. No cutting, no splicing, no fabrication. Jim at Elite made me the best plug wires I have ever seen before. I used to swear by MSD wires, but these things are works of art. Even my shabby crimping job looks good. The car runs much stronger thoughout the RPM band now, and pull to redline is much better than it was. So far, I love it.

Did I mention that I no longer have wire routing that was designed by Hitler?

I will post pics a little later on, right now, have to go drive!!!!! See ya

-Paul
    Good deal man. Can't wait to see some pics. Where did you end up putting the coil packs?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Pics, Pics and more Pics.....

So here they are....

WickedLT1's Delteq Photo Gallery

Just a couple of install notes for those that are interested.

The supplied coil bolts are a self tapping screw that is really too short. I decided to tap the bracket myself, and then get longer bolts so I would not a problem with stripping. They give you some sheet metal screws to help if you strip one, but this is really just a bandaid.

I decided to route the passenger side wires along my STB for 2 reasons. First, I really did not want abnormally long wires on that side, and second, they match my STB for color, so it looks good.

You have to be aware of the wiring harness and what you are going to secure it to. I used zip ties and tied it down to the fuel lines and such to keep it off the headers.

Made for you wire looms will not fit 9mm wires with a braided jacket!! Ooops. Had to make some low cost looms, (zip ties) that worked out ok. Later I think I am going to bore out the looms I bought and install them. They look too nice to toss, so I figure a little time on the drill press ought to fix them up.

After putting about 100 miles on her last night, I can say that top end power is up, it pulls hard to redline like she never has before. Keep in mind, that I have been chasing ignition gremlins for a while now in this car, so your mileage may vary. There is a definate difference in throttle response, and overall power throughout the RPM band. I really do not care if that is a result of the Delteq, new plugs, or just my Karma getting better!! Whatever is responsible I like it!!!!!!!! :-)

A lot of folks say that the Delteq is too expensive and their 100K mile factory Opti is fine. To those folks, my hats off to you. Keep the faith.

To everybody else, I love this system. It is far easier to maintain, repair, and live with then the Opti. Wire routing is much improved, and system accessibility is much better. Plus, no more worries about puddles, etc.

To each, there own.

-Paul

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LT1
        So here they are....

WickedLT1's Delteq Photo Gallery

Just a couple of install notes for those that are interested.

The supplied coil bolts are a self tapping screw that is really too short. I decided to tap the bracket myself, and then get longer bolts so I would not a problem with stripping. They give you some sheet metal screws to help if you strip one, but this is really just a bandaid.

I decided to route the passenger side wires along my STB for 2 reasons. First, I really did not want abnormally long wires on that side, and second, they match my STB for color, so it looks good.

You have to be aware of the wiring harness and what you are going to secure it to. I used zip ties and tied it down to the fuel lines and such to keep it off the headers.

Made for you wire looms will not fit 9mm wires with a braided jacket!! Ooops. Had to make some low cost looms, (zip ties) that worked out ok. Later I think I am going to bore out the looms I bought and install them. They look too nice to toss, so I figure a little time on the drill press ought to fix them up.

After putting about 100 miles on her last night, I can say that top end power is up, it pulls hard to redline like she never has before. Keep in mind, that I have been chasing ignition gremlins for a while now in this car, so your mileage may vary. There is a definate difference in throttle response, and overall power throughout the RPM band. I really do not care if that is a result of the Delteq, new plugs, or just my Karma getting better!! Whatever is responsible I like it!!!!!!!! :-)

A lot of folks say that the Delteq is too expensive and their 100K mile factory Opti is fine. To those folks, my hats off to you. Keep the faith.

To everybody else, I love this system. It is far easier to maintain, repair, and live with then the Opti. Wire routing is much improved, and system accessibility is much better. Plus, no more worries about puddles, etc.

To each, there own.

-Paul
        Looks good man. I'd love to go with one, but I don't think it would passs the visual smog inspection (stupid CA Smog crap). But, we'll see when my Opti decides to kick the bucket. Have fun man
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Mind me askin what the setup costs just like you did it?
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

Good job! Looks like a really clean install. Let us know how it works out long term.

Comment

Nice job - thanks for posting that.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanB58
                Mind me askin what the setup costs just like you did it?

Not at all, it's about 700 including the custom wires from Maldo over at Elitesparkplugs.com. You can get a cheaper version, if you want to source your own module and coils, I just didn't want the hassle. If you are on CZ28.com I think he is doing a GP right now. Kinda my luck, about a week after I ordered mine, they started a GP...

-Paul

Comment

I just did an opti and OVC wire kit, and it prolly cost me 400, so that is not too bad considering the advantages. Wish I would have thought about doing the Delteq. Oh well, next time I know. Looks very nice.
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X