3.4l to 372 engine swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4l to 372 engine swap

I have a 1993 camaro with a 3.4L v6 in it, I have a gen 1 small block that has been bored .060 over and modified with a TH350 tranny. I plan to put it in my camaro, but I am doubtful if the distributor will fit in the engine bay. Any help/advice on doing the swap is appreciated. Also swaping this car for another v8 car is not an option. Thanks

I don't think that it will fit because of the distributor placement unless the firewall is modified. The motor mounts or something set the engine too far back. Someone more knowledgeable will give you all of the reasons better than I can.
    1989 TA
    Flowmaster exhaust
    Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
    K&N CAI
    Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

There are a few 4th Gens on the road with distributors located in the conventional location. You can gain headroom with a "crab" style unit. Isn't going to be easy to get it out, once the engine is installed, but its been done. A Gen 1 SBC can also use a front mount, belt-driven distributor. Go to the "Advanced Tech" forum at Camaro28.com and do a search.

What kind of induction do you plan on - fuel injection or carb? What do you plan to do about the fact your current setup phas a computer that interfaces with a number of systems in the car, and that PCM will not be compatible with a Gen 1 SBC? Have you considered the fact that this combo will be a nightmare with regard to any emissions requirements, if its street driven, and you have any sort of "inspection"?

If you use a carb, you will have hood clearance problems. May need a cowl hood. You will probably need to swap out the K-member or invent something. The V6 and V8 4th Gen K-members are different. Then you need to face the motor mount issues, because the Gen 1 SBC motor mounts are not the same as the LT1 motor mounts that would interface with a 4th Gen V8 K-member.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I plan to use the brand new edelbrock carb that cam with the motor. No inspection required for the vehicle, it is not required in the state where the vehicle is registered. But how would one go about replacing the k member. I can manufacture my own motor mounts, perhaps i could set the motor lower and foward and replace the the springs to stronger ones.

Comment

Working...
        X