Transmission Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Issues

Lately my transmission feels like there's no power while in second (don't know if that makes any sense, but I know next to nothing about cars so that's as good as it gets). It also feels like it's slipping while shifting from first to second and second to third. Any ideas so I don't go to the transmission shop tomorrow totally ignorant?

*Pam*

2002 Firebird 3.8 A/T - all stock
    1998 Ford Contour SVT #1578 of 6535

how many miles on ur car? what year? model? think ur clutch/bands are shot or on their way to being shot. do the revs climb but the car hardly move?
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by braindeadracefan
      Lately my transmission feels like there's no power while in second (don't know if that makes any sense, but I know next to nothing about cars so that's as good as it gets). It also feels like it's slipping while shifting from first to second and second to third. Any ideas so I don't go to the transmission shop tomorrow totally ignorant?
      welp, post some data: how many miles on the car? any trans fluid changes to date? do you race the car?.... anything can help.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

86 Trans Am, about 125,000 miles, recent trans fluid change. I don't race it, it's mostly for commutes, errands, and road trips. The revs climb a little with less power than I know it should have, and when I step on it, it revs really high between shifts before settling into 3rd. Shifting into 2nd feels better than that, but I can feel a bit of a hesitation. Hope this helps... I really don't know much about cars, less about transmissions in particular.

*Pam*

Comment

Drive the car around a while and park it keep the engine running and check the trans. fluid level again. I know its pretty obvious but it doesn't hurt to check again. If you have the pan off make sure the filter is on right.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Fluid's good... I checked that first thing. Had to top it off a little, but full it shifts smoother with the same problems. And I have no way to get under the car, so unfortunately I can't check the filter.

*Pam*

Comment

Sounds like it may be time for a rebuild. An automatic trans has clutches and other friction surfaces that work similiar to a manual trans clutch. When these friction surfaces wear out, they will slip like a manual clutch slips when its worn. The only way to freshen them up is to pull the trans apart.
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Thanks. That's what I thought it might be... and was hoping it wasn't...

*Pam*

Comment

Working...
                X