Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternators-anyone?

Guys,

It's been a long time. Got a new question. I need a stronger alternator. Mine is just barely managing. Like alot of you I have "electric everything", with more on the way. I would like to add an electric fuel pump and also an electric radiator fan-not to mention, a set of underdrive pulleys. Where can I get a stronger alternator?

Lastly, is it possible to get one that's too strong? Any idea about what Amp is right?

Thanks,

Scott-93 TransAm

P.S. I tried "Mr. Amp" but they said no-go.

Originally posted by Scott-93 TransAm
    Guys,

It's been a long time. Got a new question. I need a stronger alternator. Mine is just barely managing. Like alot of you I have "electric everything", with more on the way. I would like to add an electric fuel pump and also an electric radiator fan-not to mention, a set of underdrive pulleys. Where can I get a stronger alternator?

Lastly, is it possible to get one that's too strong? Any idea about what Amp is right?

Thanks,

Scott-93 TransAm

P.S. I tried "Mr. Amp" but they said no-go.
    The electrical devices on your car will only pull the sufficient amount of amperage required to make them function normally. So no, it really doesn't matter how big you go with the alt.

Just do a search on google for "high amperage alternators" or some similar variations.

Comment

What do you mean by its "just barley managing". I don't know why you would need a higher amp alternator, the stock alt is more than enough for all the normal equipment and a little more. But, how old is your battery? The condition/type of your battery has a lot to do with how well your electrical system keeps up with current demands.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/Extre...type.htm#order

140 amp should be more than enough unless you are running a high watt stereo system. I was running a 150 amp alternator and a heavy duty deep cycle battery in my Formula. I got tired of replacing stock alternators, 3 in 1 year, that couldn't handle the stereo system draining the battery at idle.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
      '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
      Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

I upgraded the alternator on my 93. Give Powermaster a call, they have a 140 amp unit that will drop right in, no extra wiring needed. I picked up my chrome unit for about $280 shipped I believe. And no, its not a reman. job, its a completely new unit.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Done Deal!!

Thanks guys. Looked on the sights you recommended. Found exactly what I needed.

Comment

Working...
          X