rear axles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear axles

I was wondering if all 1998-2002 camaro z28's and SS rear axles came with limited slip differentials? I am going to change out my current axle for a z28 or SS axle because i was a limited slip differential. Any help with this matter would be greatly appriciated. thanks, nick
    1999 camaro v6 bright red with pacesetter headers, custom fab catback, high flow cat, ram air intake, corbeau racing seats and 5-point harnesses, b&m short shifter, 10" wide rubber, kenny brown subframe connectors, koni single adjustable shocks, eibach pro kit springs(1.25" drop), spohn front and rear sway bars, BMR adjustable panhard rod, spohn low control arms

im pretty sure they did. some1 wit more 4th gen experince will chime in
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by camarokkidd
      I was wondering if all 1998-2002 camaro z28's and SS rear axles came with limited slip differentials? I am going to change out my current axle for a z28 or SS axle because i was a limited slip differential. Any help with this matter would be greatly appriciated. thanks, nick
      Yes and no.

SSs had Auburns. http://www.auburngear.com/ Auburns are clutch types standard limited slip differentials.

Z28 had Torsen differentials. http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2.htm Torsens are weird. They have worm gears that help them drive both wheels. But if one wheel gets zero traction it will not drive the other one like a clutch type (Torsen has a new differential with worm gears and clutches to solve this.). However they are better for road racing because of that. They don't make the car over steer under power as much. They get better traction while turning. They aren't good for doing donuts but they will depending on the road conditions. If it is wet, they don't like to do donuts.

2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

that helped so much dude!!! i donno how to thank you but i deffinitally owe you one. im thinking im gonna go with the torsen because im going to do a lot of auto cross this summer and the torsen looks like the way to go, but hey im new to dirvetrains so if im wrong just let me know lol
        1999 camaro v6 bright red with pacesetter headers, custom fab catback, high flow cat, ram air intake, corbeau racing seats and 5-point harnesses, b&m short shifter, 10" wide rubber, kenny brown subframe connectors, koni single adjustable shocks, eibach pro kit springs(1.25" drop), spohn front and rear sway bars, BMR adjustable panhard rod, spohn low control arms

Comment

another question. is the axle swap just a bolt out the old and bolt in the new kind of a deal with some alignment done by professionals? Or is it a lot more involved and i should seek help from my trusted mechanic?

Comment

It's a simple bolt in. I've done it. However there are 2 type of rear ends with the 1998-2002. One with traction control and one without. They are not interchangeable because of electronics. So if you have TCS, you'll need a TCS rear end. If you don't have TCS you need one without the TCS.

It's self aligning unless you have an adjustable pan hard bar which I would highly recommend if you are auto crossing. You might break the stock one. Somebody on the board has broken one.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

You might want to consider this. I'm not sure about this but I think the V6 axle is the same as the V8 except for the differential. I think the Torsen is better for a road coarse however it is not perfect. Instead of buying another used axle for probably around $250, consider changing the differential to a better one than the stock Torsen with a better Torsen like this http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2R.htm . I think it runs around $400. Then you can then choose your gear ratios rather than being stuck with the 3.42 gears and wanting to upgrade them later. I know the price for this is a lot higher but If you are going to change the gears anyway it ends up only being like $150 more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                It's self aligning unless you have an adjustable pan hard bar which I would highly recommend if you are auto crossing. You might break the stock one. Somebody on the board has broken one.
                You mean this one.....
                Attached Files
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                  You mean this one.....
                  Yea that's pretty convincing.

Comment

Working...
                  X