Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a tuff decision to make; so I'm going to leave it up to you guys.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a tuff decision to make; so I'm going to leave it up to you guys.

I need some help in making a decision…

I have a 95 Formula; it’s now a project car that I’m working on “I don’t really want to get into too much detail about the project; so I’ll get to the point.”

I’m going to use an 8 point roll cage, but in order to use it I have swap out the door panels “they have the raised speaker grills on them” because the doors will not close with the raised molding. So I have to get the flat factory panels, or sheet metal ones.

The problem is, the interior is factory Torch Red, and I really like it, I would hate to part with it.

My options are, get the flat factory panels and recover them in red. Or, modify the cage to fit “which will most likely comprise the strength of the cage.”

Or, as a last resort, sell the interior, and go with the sheet metal panels, and a aftermarket seat.

As far as performance; the obvious answer is to the sell the interior, but the car will be some what street legal “I can get away with it here in FL,” as I do plan to occasionally drive it on the streets.

Also, something else to keep in mind… The car is white “for now.” It will be painted in the next month or so. The main color is black with some red “ raised Formula door moldings, PONTIAC on the rear will be red, etc…”

What would you do? I going to decide based on the input I get in here, if most of you say “keep it!!!” I will, and vice versa for selling it. If the majority of you say sell it, how much do think I should ask, or maybe I’ll just put them on eBay?

I have attached some pics… Thank you for your time.
    Attached Files
    John Wagner "Owner"
    D.E. Engine Performance & Fabrication
    1995 Formula

Check out http://www.wolferacecraft.com/install.aspx

Hope this helps.....

John
    97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
    02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
    99 Bravada

Comment

If you intend to make the car race-only, put a cage in it.

Puting a cage and racing seat in a car and gutting the interior is pretty much the end of its street life. Getting in and out is too inconvenient to use it to run around in. Driving it for any amount of time is too uncomfortable. The mods will add up and soon it will not be practical or possible to drive it on the street.

You have to ask yourself what you want. Asking us here will not get you a correct answer. Do you want a race car, or a street car?
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

dude, that interior looks awesome...leave it be if you can.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I think you really need to not sit on the fence and seriously decide .. is it race or street. If it is race then go all the way or go home.
          97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
          In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

did you say that interior came like that from the factory, thats bad ass.
            1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

I am not 100% sure about this but do you think you could somehow modify the existing door panels? Or maybe have an interior shop do it? Stock interiors always look best IMO. Sheet metal panels don't look good at all.

This would be a good question for Fred - Injuneer, how he did his...His interior look streetable...>See Here< about 2/3 of the way down the page.
              Greg W. in West Michigan
              1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
              1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
              1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
              1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
              1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
              <Motor out

Comment

Are you planning on using a pre-made bolt in or weld in cage? Which brand? The Wolfe Racecrafts have no problems with clearing the doors. Think about it...the door braces have to clear the door panel arm rest and handle so they should will have no problem clearing the little speaker grille.

This is a Camaro but you get the idea.

Comment

It is not clear on what he intends on doing with this car. I think Fred's works because he take his to the strip and his cage would protect him from rolling over and front impact. If this guy is going to road race then his cage is totally different. Most (and once I finish building mine) cars have NASCAR style side bars (two - four) to protect against side impacts.
                  97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
                  In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

The cage is a Jeggs weld in cage... I have no prob selling the Jeggs cage, and going with another brand.

I'm almost sure the Wolfe cage will not clear the raised out speaker grills on the panels, in the pics they show the flat Camaro panels on the doors, and that looks like a tight fit.

The car is not full blown race, the eninge is a 396 "Scat guts", Trick Flow ported heads, sheet metal intake using 2 70mm T.B.'s, single fogger kit "dry," and true direct port kit "wet," custom cam, controled by a Gen7 DFI. The car is pretty much gutted, no a/c, no hvac ducts, column is stripped down, no wippers "can't use them with the VFN hood," etc... Custom gauge cluster, lightened dash, the only accesories I'm using are P/S, head lights, tail lights, thats it... Thats all I'm saying for now; sorry. When the car is done, I'll post a complete list of mods and pics "6-8 months from now, it should be completed; I'm hoping."

I am concerned about looks, since it is street/strip car. So I think I will keep the factory interior. I'll look into other cages, or I may just have to make one fit, I'll figure it out... Thank you everyone for your input.

And for the guy who asked... Yes, that is a factory color that came with the car; Tourch Red "70I." It's a rare color to get in the Birds, but very common in the Vettes.

I saw Fred's pics, his custom cage seems to fit with the panels, so that's good for me; I'm sure I can make the a cage fit, as well as function.

Once again... Thanks everyone.
                    John Wagner "Owner"
                    D.E. Engine Performance & Fabrication
                    1995 Formula

Comment

Working...
                    X