Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In your opinion what is the best spark plug?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In your opinion what is the best spark plug?

Just curious to see what kind of spark plugs everyone is running and see which ones everyone likes.
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Plug

Currently running the delco platinum in my 95 Z. Have had the Autolite platinum, the Bosch Platinum 4, and could not tell the difference. Did not test each at the track however.

Comment

A lot of people here swear by the NGK TR55 plug. They're pretty good, esp. the Irridium variant.
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Gotta go with the NGK 555 as welll. WHen Ihave dynoed in the past with the stock plugs, the graph was more over the place (really wavy) than when I dynoed with the NGK's (nice clean lines and almost no graph noise). The NGK's give a bettter spark overall BUT if you cant stand having bloody stumps for hands from changing spark plugs (PITA in 4th Gen F-bods) go with the stock (stock last 100k vs roughly 50K for the NGK's ) . I prefer the cleaner spark the NGK's

that's my $0.02 worth ($0.03 Canadian )
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

Ive always used ACDelco Rapid Fires.
          No F-Body right now

Comment

I keep using Bosch Platinum because they stay clean the longest.
            Darrin C
            '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
            07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

signature.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

My experience with 2 sets of the stock AC/Delco plugs was poor. The little platinum pucks tend to fall off - a problem noted by many users - and leave you with a huge gap. I would not trust them to last 100K miles.

For nitrous use I've had good results with the NGK TR6, and Autolite 104 and 103's. With the max 300-shot, its a set of very cold Champion race plugs.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I use NGK TR6 plugs, but only because they have the heat range I am looking for. I wouldnt waste my money on Platinums or my favorite.....the split fires or patinum +4. How many grounds do you need? Do they really think the spark is gonna split between the multiple grounds? Gonna go the path of least resistance.....
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
                    Gotta go with the NGK 555 as welll. WHen Ihave dynoed in the past with the stock plugs, the graph was more over the place (really wavy) than when I dynoed with the NGK's (nice clean lines and almost no graph noise). The NGK's give a bettter spark overall BUT if you cant stand having bloody stumps for hands from changing spark plugs (PITA in 4th Gen F-bods) go with the stock (stock last 100k vs roughly 50K for the NGK's ) . I prefer the cleaner spark the NGK's

that's my $0.02 worth ($0.03 Canadian )
                    You can get more than 50k mi. on TR55's if you get the platinum or irridium variants.
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Platinums are a mileage plug, not a performance plug. The iridium plugs are also a good mileage plug and they can stand a lot of heat. Multiple electrodes are a waste of money - the Bosch +4 design dates back from the 30's. The engineers at the Champion R&D department told me thet they think multiple electrodes block the fuel charge. The single electrode works fine. Indy cars & Formula 1 use no electrode (gapless) designs and a lot of other racers use a single electrode. So stick with the standard configuration and dial in the heat range - you may have to switch brands to get it just right - The cross references aren't exact copies from different manufacturers - they all differ slightly in how they obtain the heat range. I spend a lot of time at work testing plugs, so I know a lot of people in the industry. I can tell you that plugs get redesigned with new features and gimicks partly to sell more plugs. What is really important on a plug besides the fit, reach, & heat range is sharp edges on the electrodes. This is what makes the spark jump better.

Comment

Yup...same experience here with the AC Delco Platinums...junk! Been using NGK ever since...
                        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                          Ive always used ACDelco Rapid Fires.
                          That's what I use as well.

Comment

Which AC Delco Rapid Fire Spark Plug?

I mean what number did you use for our cars?
                            Thanks Lee!
                            Lee Stroud in West Virginia

Comment

Working...
                            X