help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!!

Well, after replacing the clutch and almost every peripheral component, the clutch is still dragging, and the horrid noises and vibrations just got worse.
    All signs point to a tweaked crankshaft to me Does anyone have any input that might save me from getting a new bottom end/short block?
    If not, I'd like some advice on choosing a daily driveable stroker kit or assembled short block that doesnt cost an arm and a leg.
    I'll be using my existing top end with com cams .488/.495 lift cam w/212/218 duration, if that makes a difference.
    Any help would be much appreciated. I'm expecting the worst, but maybe someone else can think of another culprit. Thanks guys.
    '95 Trans Am 6spd- broke
    '77 dodge custom 150 2wd tire destroyer- 440ci w/edelbrock intake, thorley headers, 2000 stall, ported heads and surface rust
    2005 Kawasaki z1000 - getting too cold for that though

If your pilot bearing is healthy, and the input shaft bearing is OK, You can start by turning the pressure plate to the next screw hole and see if that helps the vibration issue. You also sound like the master cyl/slave cyl isn't doing it's job and it might need to be bled, replaced, or spaced so that the throwout bearing (you replaced this too, right?) moves further to disengage the clutch. Is flywheel warped or was that also replaced? Hopefully not made in China.

It is possible to put a clutch disc in backwards and cause binding problems - I'm not too sure about these, though. I did once get a clutch which was numbered wrong or put in the wrong box and it rubbed between the clutch hub and the flywheel causing noise & binding.

Do you have vibration at highway speed? you could have driveshaft issues. also check tranny mount, U-joints, & tranny tailshaft.

Comment

Couple of thoughts.....properly balanced flywheel? Flex in the fork? Hydraulics working perfectly?

Comment

Sorry, its been a while since i could get on, guys.
        I took it to the shop, had them replace the clutch/throwout bearing. They said the tranny input bearing was toast and the fork was replaced. Oddly, they said the pilot bushing was much too large (inside diameter). Presumably was the wrong part, but i suppose it could have been reamed out or something. After all this was done, it was still making noise and dragging to the point that if the motor was revved with the clutch in, the car would shudder forward.
        After that, the slave and master cylinders were both replaced in an effort to correct the problem. Both were suppossedly tested bad. Flywheel was also replaced as it was warped.
        The promblem remained.
        Now no one can figure what the problem is, so they say they think its in teh crankshaft itself. The thing is, its not a knocking sound and there is no oil leaking. Its like a low whirring/scraping bad sound and i dont associate that with a bent crank.
        Is this a known problem with the earlier lt1's or what? They are trying to tell me that the people who installed the heads and cam may have incorrectly timed my rocker arms, or pulled the motor and set it on the flywheel. (7 months ago)
        '95 Trans Am 6spd- broke
        '77 dodge custom 150 2wd tire destroyer- 440ci w/edelbrock intake, thorley headers, 2000 stall, ported heads and surface rust
        2005 Kawasaki z1000 - getting too cold for that though

Comment

Working...
        X