Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• key question

this might be a dumb question but... :

whats the little black thing (like a microchip) on/in the car keys, what does it do exactly?

Originally posted by b3master
    this might be a dumb question but... :

whats the little black thing (like a microchip) on/in the car keys, what does it do exactly?
    It provides a resistance that the computer recognizes. When the circuit shows open or some other resistance, it will not start. It is part of the VATS system.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

and here i thought this was about computer key boards.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

A little more info about the PASS-key system, courtesy of Shoebox's Tech Pages:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

to be honest i asked this question because of the following
          my car was at the body shop for some time, could it be that one of the employees with whatever on their hands accidentaly got some paint or clay (or whatever they use) on the key that made the car somtimes start n somtimes die after starting n somtimes not start at all? cause it was a fuel problem, n now the problem disappeared, im just worried it would die on me n strand me somwhere. its either some paste on the key chip or they got the fuel pump relay wet n now it dried out, cause i did see the floor in back seat of passenger side pretty wet, but im not sure were the pump relay is located.

so if the chip leads was obstructed what does it do exactly to the car? just shut down the fuel pump or would it shut down the started also?

Comment

so if the chip leads was obstructed what does it do exactly to the car? If it was obstructed in the first place, your wouldn't start and you'll get a "security" light in the dash.
            just shut down the fuel pump or would it shut down the started also? Starter...when I get the light because my VATS is acting up, you can still hear the pump come on (it's a loud beeeezzzzzz), but the car won't start...so it's the starter that goes died.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

The security module needs to read the resistance from the key when you try and start the engine. If the resistance matches, the security module sends a signal to the PCM and the PCM allows the car to start. Its only used to start the engine, not to keep it running. It would be dangerous to shut the engine down when the car is being driven and the key pellet temprorarily lost contact.

If the contacts on the key or in the lock cylinder are dirty, you will have a problem starting the car. If this happens, the "SECURITY" light will come on. Have you seen that light come on when the car is hard to start?

If your engine is just shutting down while running, it could be a problem with the wiring from the ignition switch to any other part of the system. It isn't unusual to have a problem with the switch or the wiring in the steering column.

The fuel pump relay is IIRC under the dead pedal on the drivers side of the front passenger compartment. There is nothing under the seat in the back of the car. What happens when the engine dies? Does the "SES" light come on? If so, the cause of the problem is stored in the PCM and can be retrieved if you haven't driven more than 50 drive cycles without the problem coming back. It might be worth a "scan", since not all trouble codes will light the SES.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
              X