lt1 vs ls1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lt1 vs ls1

i have been looking at getting a trans am and i am stuck is the ls1 or lt1 better what one is faster and just some info on what one is better and why
    thanks
    chris

ls1 is better from what I understand.
    1989 TA
    Flowmaster exhaust
    Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
    K&N CAI
    Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

I smell a can of worms opening here......

The LT1 was found in the '93 - '97 f bod's while the LS1 was from '98 - '02.
      The LS1 is newer and therefore with newer technology it is faster. The LT1 cars are less expensive to purchase and can be made fast(er)...time and money is all it takes. Many have proven this on this board. My LT1 will snap you back in your seat and is definately my favorite red lite to red lite racer. Although a burnt orange '02 WS6 could get the job done as well.

remember.....time and money. Definately get one though....I could have waited to get a LS1 but I could afford my LT1 and would have missed out on a lot of fun had I not gotten it. These cars rock!
      2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
      buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
      Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Comment

I've got a 93 Trans Am with the LT1 (it's the first design with the Speed Density system) and I love it. The car has about 100K miles and runs like a dream. NO problems, and fast as heck. But, if I had the $$$, and didn't love this car the way I do, I would rather have the LS1. It's faster out of the box, and it seems that when you compare add-on to add-on, they produce better results in the LS1's than in the LT1's. Don't get me wrong though, you'll be happy either way :-) Welcome to the club!

Cheers,
        Steve
        SOLD: 1993 M6 Trans Am, black with ZR1 rims, Borla cat-back, Random Tech cat, SLP headers and Y, Morosso CAI

Comment

I would have to recommend looking for an LS1 if you have the money. They have dropped in price and can be found for around $10,000 in good condition. They have a much better ignition system and seem to be cheaper to maintain. They also have a stronger bottom end, get rid of the siamese ports on the heads, and the heads flow amazingly well. Many guys have seen 12's by simply bolting on headers, exhaust, and a CAI. Also adding a cam with boltons gets many LS1's well into the upper 300rwhp range due to the very well designed heads.
          1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

The LS1 is faster.

I don't know why this is a "can of worms".

wolfman praises his LS2 all the time. It's a great improvement over the LS1. Just like the LS1 is over the LT1.
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
              I don't know why this is a "can of worms".
              I didn't want the thread to lead toward a discussion that has been beaten to death. The old mine is better than yours routine. Each engine trumps the previous; how much you have to spend decides what technology you get.
              2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
              buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
              Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Comment

Originally posted by tclelland
                I didn't want the thread to lead toward a discussion that has been beaten to death. The old mine is better than yours routine. Each engine trumps the previous; how much you have to spend decides what technology you get.

I know nothing anyways.... I drive a Cavalier
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

LT1 - LS1

I own an LT1, and the LS1 is quicker. However horse power is a matter of cubic dollars. If you want to beat all the stock LS1s & LS2s, just bolt on a supercharger. For 3-4 thousand, and a weekends worth of work, if you have the skills, you will have a Beast in your hands. How long the rest of your drive train will hold up is another question, as the rears in these cars are puny. If you put Slicks on and get a good launch, say goodbye to that rear. If you stick with street tires it should live, but you will spend alot of time feathering the throttle.

Comment

If I were you, I'd get a later than 98 LS1 if you have the money. I think it is a terrific engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Vince
                      I own an LT1, and the LS1 is quicker. However horse power is a matter of cubic dollars. If you want to beat all the stock LS1s & LS2s, just bolt on a supercharger. For 3-4 thousand, and a weekends worth of work, if you have the skills, you will have a Beast in your hands. How long the rest of your drive train will hold up is another question, as the rears in these cars are puny. If you put Slicks on and get a good launch, say goodbye to that rear. If you stick with street tires it should live, but you will spend alot of time feathering the throttle.
                      oh yeah? welll.........if you bolt on a super charger..... im gonna bolt on twin turbos!!! so take that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahaahha

d&r

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                        oh yeah? welll.........if you bolt on a super charger..... im gonna bolt on twin turbos!!! so take that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahaahha

d&r
                        Do that & take it to the track and let us know how you do, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman

hahahahaahha

d&r
                          Why not the "455 Tiger" GTO by Arrowhead Performance..... 625HP/625 lb-ft from a 7.5L/455ci LS2 sleeved stroker. THEN add the SC ...or the turbos..... or a little juice.......

http://www.arrowheadperformance.com/455tiger.htm

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                            Do that & take it to the track and let us know how you do, OK?
                            no thanks.. i got nuttin to prove to a christmas tree....it wont even go to the movies with me.............

and........

im not wasting my money on no forced induction so i can get to the gym faster.......

LOL

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                              Why not the "455 Tiger" GTO by Arrowhead Performance..... 625HP/625 lb-ft from a 7.5L/455ci LS2 sleeved stroker. THEN add the SC ...or the turbos..... or a little juice.......

http://www.arrowheadperformance.com/455tiger.htm

that thing is super sweet..... big bucks, but sweet !

Comment

Working...
                              X