Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharged LT1 .....?

Alright we have a serious consideration on our hands:

A powerdyne supercharged 96 Formula that is red, same color as my V6, which I love But the air conditioning compresser is "growling" could this mean something is out of balance on the engine ? But can you say sleeper, get rid of the formula badging and no one would know I got a different car, besides of course the exhaust Anyway what do you guys think ? btw I haven't seen this car in person
    Beau

97 Red Firebird 3.8L stock (for sale) & Now a 97 Firehawk

Hell Yeah! If the price is right and everything checks out, do it! Don't get too excited and pay too much . . . . .make sure you get a decent price!
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

prob a bad bearing in the a/c if its coming from there, only way to tell would to take belt off and turn each compentent and feel for ruffness
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I would make sure the engine was built up right. If its just a supercharger slapped onto a LT1 with a stock bottom end its probably not going to last for you very long. If it was built up right then you should be able to get it for a lot cheaper than it would cost to do it yourself and it should last for a long while.
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
          I would make sure the engine was built up right. If its just a supercharger slapped onto a LT1 with a stock bottom end its probably not going to last for you very long. If it was built up right then you should be able to get it for a lot cheaper than it would cost to do it yourself and it should last for a long while.
          Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm also considering a supercharger and wasn't aware of the need to build up the bottom end. What are we talking about here, in regards to building it up? I take it also depends on the psi of boost? If this is the case, maybe I should just stay away from the blower and go with the LT4 kit, etc.

Cheers,
          Steve
          SOLD: 1993 M6 Trans Am, black with ZR1 rims, Borla cat-back, Random Tech cat, SLP headers and Y, Morosso CAI

Comment

i think 4-8lbs(i think dont qoute me) is fine for a stock bottem end. anything more and u start to really push the rods, crank, and pistons. thats why when u buy a s/c they only make 4 6 or 8 lbs of boost. anywhere in the range should be fine for a stock LT1
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Check this out on ebay.. 1997 firehawk 6spd...
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...548969859&rd=1
              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                i think 4-8lbs(i think dont qoute me) is fine for a stock bottem end. anything more and u start to really push the rods, crank, and pistons. thats why when u buy a s/c they only make 4 6 or 8 lbs of boost. anywhere in the range should be fine for a stock LT1
                Many guys can get away with running up to 8lbs especially with an intercooler but you are pushing it. You can run one on your stock bottom end but it will eventually cause failure. I don't know a whole lot about them but I do know that I've read of more than one guy blowing a motor because of running it on the stock bottom end.
                1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

you may wana look at turbo charged its a lil slow off the start but it doesnt use any enigne power because superchargers are belt driven just a thought ive never delt with either or just lots of reading
                  ::edit::
                  sorry i post with out reading all of it sometimes...o yeah you might as well rebuild the whole engine when you do this cuz like they said new pistons push rods..ect...ive been lookin at them a little bit latly
                  your racing 16 year old Camaro Berlinetta Digital Camaro 202 heads 4 barrel and soon to be headers with 4 inch running back

Comment

Originally posted by Gary94Formula
                    Check this out on ebay.. 1997 firehawk 6spd...
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...548969859&rd=1
                    That firehawk is awesome !!!!!!!!!

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
                    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Originally posted by thomas
                      That firehawk is awesome !!!!!!!!!
                      That Firehawk is mine

Thanks for pointing that out Gary, you just showed me my new car
                      Beau

97 Red Firebird 3.8L stock (for sale) & Now a 97 Firehawk

Comment

SC's R friends!

I hear that you guys R thinking about SC's vs turbos? I can tell you my experience w/ Powerdyne SC's. I have a '94 Z w/LT-1 and 4.5lb boost SC. the motor had 45000 miles on it when the SC was installed, it now has 82000 miles on it, w/a stock lower end. I have had no probs w/SC, and get 17-18mpg w/3.42 gears & automatic. There is very little whine to it, so most people don't even know that it's there. It will outrun any of the SC Cobras out there. It does have some serious traction problems though. Also, you can run higher boosts and gain a lot more horsepower, but you will have to make modifications to the fuel system. (i.e., to run 6 lbs boost you have to have at least 100 gph fuel pump-for 30 more horsepower; to run 9 lbs boost you will also need different injectors.) I once knew a man who ran 9 lbs on a '95 Trans Am w/ LT1, but he tore chunks out of his tires when he got on it! So, in my experience, you can make all kinds of horsepower w/o N2O, waste gates, or inter coolers. Powerdyne would be happy to answer any questions you might have. In my opinion, and obviously in the opinion of many auto manufacturers a SC is the way to go. Hope this has anwered some of your questions.

Comment

Working...
                        X