Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Cats on 02 Z28, What to replace them with?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Cats on 02 Z28, What to replace them with?

I have been helping my friend with his exhaust. Unlike my LT1 Trans Am and cat converters, his unbolt from the Y pipe. Mine are welded in.

Anyways, we want to replace them with straight pipes and O2 simulators. We took the cats to a muffler place asking them if they could fabricate straight pipes for him and no one will do it!!

Do they sell straight pipes that just bolt in place of the old cats?

I heard bad things about gutting them out, so we want to try replacing them first.

Thanks for the help guys. I did a search but couldn't find much on this one.

...Tim

cant you just buy a y pipe from slp? not sure if it would work or not

just my .02.
    1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Why not just buy some high flow cats? They really don't rob you of any ponies. The reason why a muffler place won't put in a straight pipe is because it is illegal (for the street...emissions); as is removing, replacing, or relocating your cats if there is nothing wrong with them.

I suggest buying some high flow cats. Keep the power and save the environment at the same time.
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Unless your friend's LS1 is making 600HP or so, why are you removing the cats? There is little if anything to be gained. I've pushed 500HP through a pair of 3" CarSound cats, with no concerns about power loss.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

just keep'em there. I gutted the cat on my 94 formula and it didn't do anything except make it sound raspy.
          99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Working...
          X