Need heavier oil weight for 110,000 mile Lt1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need heavier oil weight for 110,000 mile Lt1

whats the best weight for a 110,000 mile Lt1 engine??
    thanks,
    ed
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

I use 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter mines got 140,000 on it still purrs like a lion

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
    2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Originally posted by LoudLT1
      whats the best weight for a 110,000 mile Lt1 engine??
      thanks,
      ed
      I run 10w30 during hotter weather...and use the recommeded 5w30 in the winter...157K and engine is still running perfect. Smooth as butter...your LT1 has plenty of life left so no worries...run thicker oil in the summer. Though, from what I've read in the past, it doesn't really matter when the oil gets to operating temp.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com

Lots of good info over there, but you'll find it mirrors what's already been said. For longer life, the LT1 likes a thicker oil. 5W30 Mobile 1 is a little too thin.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Royal Purple 10w30 is what makes my baby purr
          black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

the first number is the viscosity, the second number is the weight...

i dont recommend using anymore than the factory 30 weight spec. neither does gm... a 40 is not going to help, in fact, it might cause problems in the long run.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
              the first number is the viscosity, the second number is the weight...

i dont recommend using anymore than the factory 30 weight spec. neither does gm... a 40 is not going to help, in fact, it might cause problems in the long run.
              Why is that?
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                Why is that?
                i was told it has to do with tolerances and flowing speed, even though the first number repesents viscosity....also the seals.....and gumming up problems.

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                  i was told it has to do with tolerances and flowing speed, even though the first number repesents viscosity....also the seals.....and gumming up problems.
                  Huh? Both numbers are viscosity (thickness). The first number is how the oil flows in a cold temp and the second number is how the oil flows in a high temp. You need a bigger number for a hotter engine. The multi-viscosity oil has wax molecule chains which are designed to increase or decrease the thickness of the oil dependent on temp and load so that the engine will receive the proper lube for varying conditions. Eventually, the waxe chains wear out from heat and shearing forces and the oil gets thinner. It nears the viscosity of the lower number. That's why it pours out when you change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                    Huh? Both numbers are viscosity (thickness). The first number is how the oil flows in a cold temp and the second number is how the oil flows in a high temp. You need a bigger number for a hotter engine. The multi-viscosity oil has wax molecule chains which are designed to increase or decrease the thickness of the oil dependent on temp and load so that the engine will receive the proper lube for varying conditions. Eventually, the waxe chains wear out from heat and shearing forces and the oil gets thinner. It nears the viscosity of the lower number. That's why it pours out when you change it.
                    parafin base yes, petrolium base not so much...... and the second number represents the "body"....as you well know.

i didnt think this person wanted to know the engineering technical details on the properties of motor oils and the function of the molecular structure under the various conditons of engine operation .....

i thought he just wanted to know if he needed to use a "heavier oil"......cause he has high mileage.

get some Raid....and spray that bug in your (_!_)

d&r

Comment

Working...
                    X