95 Formula performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Formula performance

I'am thinking of buying a 95 Formula automatic, I don't know what rear gears it has in it. I would like to know what times I can expect at the dragstrip with it stock. I'am want to have a car that I can drive to the track and run low 13's to be on of the fastest cars in sportsman eliminator (13.00 and up). What mods will it take to achieve this with the Firebird? I figure at least a convertor,drag radials, exhaust gears,

Thanks

Stock, a 95 LT1 should run anywhere from 13.8@100mph to 14.2@96mph.

The automatics came with two different rear axle ratios. The "base" Z28, Formula or T/A came with 2.73 rear axle ratio (RPO GU2 on the build tag). Those cars will have a 110mph speedometer (and top speed limter in the computer) and you will not be able to select 1st gear on the shift indicator (but you can "mod" it to be able to). If the original buyer opted for the "performance rear axle ratio" (RPO GU5) it got 3.23 gears, and most likely the Z-rated tires, a 155mph speedo, selectable 1st gear and no top speed limiter.

For low 13's:

-cold air intake
    -3" catback exhaust
    -headers
    -high stall convertor
    -shift kit
    -3.73 gears
    -sticky tires
    -cam... CC305 or 306 would be typical.

For traction, you will need tubular lower control arms, LCA relocation brackets. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade the tranny mount and the torque arm bushing to polyurethane.

The weak point in all of this will be the 7.5" rear axle assembly, but if you are running an automatic and only looking for low 13's, you shouldn't hurt it with sticky tires.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
    X