choosing cam..which one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choosing cam..which one?

Mods are in sig..im not really looking to get ported heads soon if at all so keep that in mind..from whom ive talked to they gave me two options

option A: 224/230 duration, .536"/.544", 112lsa

option B: 227/233 duration, .560"/.569", 112lsa
    227/233 duration, .560"/.569", 111lsa

What do you all think of these? any input or if you don't like these and want to suggest another set-up feel free im open to options! btw..are there any other add-ons ya'll would feel neccisary to add to the combination kit they have out? thanks!
    97' trans am..50,000 miles..hooker long tube headers hooker y pipe going into flowmaster exhaust, CAI,underdrive pullys,MAF descreened,3:73, new ngk plugs and taylor wires, new opti, !AIR !EGR, computer tuned by MADZ28..free mods..

PERSONALY I'd go with the smaller of the 2. That second one is a bit much for the amount of mods you have and I beleieve it'd be hurting more than helping to have that much cam.

Then again, thats just my $.02 and I could be wrong.
    1995 Blue T-Top 3.8L Auto Firebird
    1991 Blue T-Top 5.0L TBI Auto Camaro RS

Comment

What is your goal? What are you looking for out of it? What will you put up with? How often do you drive it? We have to know that to give you advice.
      Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
        What is your goal? What are you looking for out of it? What will you put up with? How often do you drive it? We have to know that to give you advice.
        The truth speaks he. Yes.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

well im not a track guy myself but i want my car to be a little more aggresive on the street....in the summer this is my daily car..i don't beat on it much at all but i want it to have a little more gitty up than it does now..hope that helps?

Comment

Rev how high do you wish? My son help you can I.
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
              Rev how high do you wish? My son help you can I.
              i guess around 6000??

Comment

With the cam you'll need to do springs even if you only plan on going to 6,000 rpms. I'd recommend a new set of pushrods and 1.6 rr's. Do you have a manual or automatic? Are you willing to have it dyno tuned?
                1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by customlt1
                  Mods are in sig..im not really looking to get ported heads soon if at all so keep that in mind..from whom ive talked to they gave me two options

option A: 224/230 duration, .536"/.544", 112lsa

option B: 227/233 duration, .560"/.569", 112lsa
                  227/233 duration, .560"/.569", 111lsa

What do you all think of these? any input or if you don't like these and want to suggest another set-up feel free im open to options! btw..are there any other add-ons ya'll would feel neccisary to add to the combination kit they have out? thanks!
                  Actually, I really wouldn't reccomend putting a bigger cam in an LT1 without porting the heads at least. Stock LT1 heads basically hit the wall after about .390" of lift. So, if you just want a nice lope thats cool, but don't expect much of a power increase in the grand scheme of things. Also keep in mind that the amount of overlap (LSA) ground into a cam is a big determining factor in idle and driving characteristics. Lower the LSA, greater the overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                    With the cam you'll need to do springs even if you only plan on going to 6,000 rpms. I'd recommend a new set of pushrods and 1.6 rr's. Do you have a manual or automatic? Are you willing to have it dyno tuned?
                    well i plan on getting that kit in Combination motorsports that has all of that..i have a m6 and yes i would like to get it dyno tuned...will i be able to drive it at all with out getting the pcm tuned RIGHT after installation?

Originally posted by fastTA
                    Actually, I really wouldn't reccomend putting a bigger cam in an LT1 without porting the heads at least. Stock LT1 heads basically hit the wall after about .390" of lift. So, if you just want a nice lope thats cool, but don't expect much of a power increase in the grand scheme of things. Also keep in mind that the amount of overlap (LSA) ground into a cam is a big determining factor in idle and driving characteristics. Lower the LSA, greater the overlap.
                    So what do you say i do? i see a lot of ppl on these websites that have just a new cam and non ported heads..

Comment

Originally posted by customlt1
                      well i plan on getting that kit in Combination motorsports that has all of that..i have a m6 and yes i would like to get it dyno tuned...will i be able to drive it at all with out getting the pcm tuned RIGHT after installation?

So what do you say i do? i see a lot of ppl on these websites that have just a new cam and non ported heads..
                      I can't say for sure, but you may be looking at guys with LS1's who add just a cam with stock heads. LS1's respond very well with just the addition of an aftermarket cam due to the outstanding design of their cylinder head.

Getting your stock heads worked for a larger cam is not all that expensive. I would just reccomend saving for a little while longer until you can do both the heads and cam together for the best results.

Comment

How much is it ruffly to get your stock heads ported?

Comment

Working...
                        X