New track times.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New track times.....

Im not where I want to be, but still improving......

11.7 @ 123mph

For, the first time, I felt what a decent launch should be like.....I ran a 1.7 60 footer.......I know it should be capable of 1.5-1.6 though, which would bring me to an 11.4 - 11.5. So, im getting there. Everything felt good this run, except for the fact that I got beat by another street car! I havent been beat by another true street car at this track in a while, but this guy in an 01 SS gave it to me good. My main mistake was sleeping at the tree, but he ran a 1.6 60 footer....which gave him an 11.5, but he was only running 114 mph.

I talked to him about his car. I asked him if he was spraying it, because I saw some black smoke coming out his tailpipe (indicating a safe overly rich mix) in an earlier pass he made. He said he had the juice, but ran out, so he wasnt using it. Then went on to tell me he had a 408 built by Demon something or other speed shop......and he normally uses a 300 shot of juice! Im not too sure I believe him, because he didnt sound like he really new his stuff and it just didnt look like a 9 second car.......motor looked bone stock, but had a nice ported NOS kit, and he was running a 4L60e.

Anyways, im glad I raced him because he was just out in front of me and I was reeling him in the whole way, which made me shift faster and really focus on catching him. If he could run with me all the time, id probably be able to beat him with a bit more practice!
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
    I asked him if he was spraying it, because I saw some black smoke coming out his tailpipe (indicating a safe overly rich mix) in an earlier pass he made. He said he had the juice, but ran out, so he wasnt using it.
    Bullsh........ oops. That's a load of crap. You and I both know that he sprayed you. That exhaust you noticed is the telltale sign. Not only that, a stock 01 automatic with a fair driver is probably going to run 104 mph. Add a 125 shot and the trap speed jumps roughly 10 mph. Your hunch was correct.

That kind of reminds me of what I used to do in my old pro street Elcamino. I had the bottle mounted in the bed, in plain view. The braided line when through the rear bulkhead and went nowhere. The real bottle was mounted behind a hidden hatch accessable through the passenger compartment that ultimately had the bottle mounted under the bed. It could not be seen from any angle, even under the car... er truck... whatever you want to call them. I had a bulletproof 355, 200 shot, 4500 stall nitrous converter, 4:10s and some sticky 29 x 12.5s and a 4 link. Guys would want to run me but without nitrous. I would say sure and disconnect the line from the bottle in the bed. That convinced the opponant that the nitrous was truely disconnected. Well, you know the rest. A wheelstand and the blink of an eye later, I was collecting some cash. They always had that look of disbelief when they lost. Not only that, "holy crap..... what does it run with the bottle?" was always the topic of later discussion. Bwahahaha. I really don't know what it's ET or speed was.... it never made it to the strip for a timing. I know I used to beat some pretty stout bikes back in the day.

It's amazing that I survived my youth.

Comment

Nice times! I am with Joe - I think it was a stock LS1 with some spray. I am sure he had a high stall converter too based on his 60' time. If he truly had a 408 and was only running 114 MPh someone needs to kick the engine builder - seeing as it was an auto I will assume it is not the driver. There is a guy in my club was running 10.786 @ 126 mph in a stock LS1 (exhaust and all) with suspension mods, a 250 shot of nitrous, and a big stall converter. He drives it to the track - mounts the big and skinnies and gives it hell! It's fun to watch! Check it out:

Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Sure gives every indication of Nitrous. There are alot of stories going on at the track. Take all of them with the OK yeah I beleive that attitude.

Comment

Yea, the consensus amongst my buddies and I was that he was spraying a stock LS1. The big tell tale for me was the tranny....theres no way hes running an L60e if he normally runs a 300 shot. Not to mention, if he really was trapping 114 N/A, that would put his car in the 400 rwhp range (guestimate). Somehow I dont see being able to spray 300 horse on a car that only makes 400 horse N/A......200 horse, maybe a little more believable.

But Casey is right, a 408 LS1 should make a little more power than 400 rwhp.

Casey.....BTW, is that your T/A pulling the wheels in that pic???? If so, what the heck did you do to that thing?
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

With only a 114 trap speed on a stock auto LS1, it sounds like he was probably running a pretty small shot. I would bank some dough that it was likely less than a 125 shot.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              With only a 114 trap speed on a stock auto LS1, it sounds like he was probably running a pretty small shot. I would bank some dough that it was likely less than a 125 shot.

Well, his claim is that it was a 408 running N/A and his 300 shot was not in use.....

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird

Casey.....BTW, is that your T/A pulling the wheels in that pic???? If so, what the heck did you do to that thing?
                LOL - yeah that's me running my 12.93. No it is a guy in my club - the car is damn impressive! Someday.....someday I will be carrying the wheels the first 10'

What is ironic is the car in the pic is the one I was talking about above - it is "down" right now getting a 408 with direct port nitrous Sounds similar to what the 01 SS owner was saying he was running.
                Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
                  LOL - yeah that's me running my 12.93. No it is a guy in my club - the car is damn impressive! Someday.....someday I will be carrying the wheels the first 10'

What is ironic is the car in the pic is the one I was talking about above - it is "down" right now getting a 408 with direct port nitrous Sounds similar to what the 01 SS owner was saying he was running.
                  Gotcha....it looks just like yours.

Comment

Working...
                  X