Factory CD Player Question:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory CD Player Question:

I decided I was going to delete this section of my WTB thread and move it into here. I don't think is was necessarily appropriate to ask a question like this in that venue... So here goes, I hope you guys can help!

My original thread in the for sale or trade section was as follows:

WTB: Stock CD Player w/EQ

Questions to go along with that...

Does anyone know from expirience if the stock CD players will play burnt CDs? I have never owned a car with a stock deck until now. My girlfriend's car with a stock deck ('97 Sebring) won't play burnt CDs. That would suck because most of my music is burned.

Along with that... I have a barely used Eclipse 32440 amp that I bought for another car that I just sold. (It's 85x4) I was wondering if this could somehow integrate with this car's system. I want to keep the stock deck for appearance, I would be fine with upgrading the speakers... but if I do what does everyone recommend?

I would like to hear some referrals on actual speakers that people are running in their cars right now.

Thanks for any help with this...

Sin_
    Cere

You will need to specify what year and model car you are looking for. The 4th generation Camaro radios did not have equalizers. I'm not sure about the Pontiac ones.

but, for my 1994 Camaro I am able to play burned CDs in the stock Delco/Bose radio. Also, I am able to run a aftermarket amp because the outputs on the Bose model radio are line level. All you need to do is solder on some RCA connectors from Radio Shack and the amp will plug right in.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

With the stock delco bose radio, well my 1998 anyways, i was able to play burned cds. The amp is possible with the in-line filter, you patch those in to the rear channels for subs, and bridge the other two channels, running it in two channel mode. To run it all four channels, i would assume it would be the same process. If your amp has "high lever input" with 8 screws (2 for each channel) than you would have to run each line from either the back of the wiring harness, or from each speaker location back to the amp, then the output from the amp to each speaker location. IMO if you plan on replacing all the speakers anyways, you might as well use an aftermarket head unit, you will have much better sound quality with it.
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
      Traded in: 1998 Z28
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by burnt CDs.

There are several methods to make (burn) a CD. You can copy the file to it as a .MP3, .WMA, or .WAV file of which wile play on a stock head unit or regular CD player. You can burn a CD and play it on a stock head unit or regular CD if you do it where it converts the file to a .CDA file. Windows media player will do it.

Also there are 2 types of CDs. CDRs and CDRWs. CDRWs will not work no matter how you burn it on a stock head unit.

So in conclusion, if you uses CDRs and you use windows media player to "burn" the CD it will work on any head unit including the 97 Sebring and any GM CD head unit.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

My 97 Monsoon system would play CDR's I burned using Itunes burning software. I'm not a stereo nut so I can't help with the second question, but I thought there were problem with replacing single parts like amps or speakers in the Monsoon system? Maybe somebody else can clarify that.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

First off... thank's to each of you who have responded so far... Especially (hotwhip/tracez) great info on the amp situation.

What I am looking for is the factory delco cd player would have come with my 1994 Trans Am GT. I just bought this car and unfortunately it has the tape player w/EQ. (Unfortunately, I threw out all of my tapes back in like 1991!)

So, with that being said, for anyone who wants to offer one up, I would like to buy one. I can go the ebay route but I would have a little more trust buying one from one of you guys.

As far as the aftermarket head unit... I know I am sacrificing a little bit of quality and functionality options. I may decide sometime down the road to do an after market CD player but for now I am really looking to go with as many factory parts as possible.

Thank's again for the CDR feedback. For some reason I know a lot of people who have trouble playing CDRs in their factory units. Trust me, I know how to correctly burn a CDR using Nero... and my girlfriend's car does not play CDRs.

Comment

I have one still not sure if I want to sell it though, its a delco with the equalizer I took it out a couple months ago.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
              2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

I'm not sure about the firebirds, but the Camaros had 2 optional CD players.... Standard or Bose. The standard one had amplified outputs and 4 speakers. The Bose one had line level outputs and then each speaker had a little 1 channel amp mounted to it.

In my car I have the Bose unit with RCA jacks soldered on the outputs which are as I stated line level. I then run those outputs to a soundstream reference 405 that is bridged to 3 channels. I run a sub and components with crossover in the doors. It sounds awsome.

Did the firebird have two different CD players as well? Did one of those use the little one channel amps on the speakers? If so, that is the one I would recommend getting. If you find one with a broken CD player, it is no big deal. I know a shop in Florida that will rebuild the CD portion for pretty cheap. It isnt very hard to replace burnt out bulbs either, if you know how to use a solder gun.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                  I'm not sure about the firebirds, but the Camaros had 2 optional CD players.... Standard or Bose. The standard one had amplified outputs and 4 speakers. The Bose one had line level outputs and then each speaker had a little 1 channel amp mounted to it.

In my car I have the Bose unit with RCA jacks soldered on the outputs which are as I stated line level. I then run those outputs to a soundstream reference 405 that is bridged to 3 channels. I run a sub and components with crossover in the doors. It sounds awsome.

Did the firebird have two different CD players as well? Did one of those use the little one channel amps on the speakers? If so, that is the one I would recommend getting. If you find one with a broken CD player, it is no big deal. I know a shop in Florida that will rebuild the CD portion for pretty cheap. It isnt very hard to replace burnt out bulbs either, if you know how to use a solder gun.
                  The firebirds did have two cd/players... to the best of my knowledge both models were made by Delco. Now, I am not sure about the channel amps that you are referring to. I would have to leave that up to someone who has that knowledge of Pontiac's stereo equipment.

Once again... good info, I appreciate it.

Gimp... Let me know if you decide that you want to sell your head unit.

Comment

I bought my T/A a few months back, and it had an aftermarket stereo installed. I am a purist, and wanted the stock deck. I went on eBay and found the original Pontiac Monsoon CD/EQ deck that came with the car. I got it for $120. It works great. As far as I know, at least in 2002, the Monsoon is the only CD player available.

Funny thing is, the Monsoon sounds 10 times better than the expensive Kenwood that was in the car when I got it.
                    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Does anyone know any further information as to the difference between the delco vs. the monsoon head unit? Are the two interchangable?

Comment

Originally posted by Sin_Cere
                        Does anyone know any further information as to the difference between the delco vs. the monsoon head unit? Are the two interchangable?
                        I don't think they offered a Monsoon system in 1994. I'm pretty sure that started in 1997 or thereabouts. I could be wrong.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                        X