quick response please!(Joe 1320 too!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick response please!(Joe 1320 too!)

After adjusting valves I can turn some pushrods by hand as it sits. Does this make any sense? I went to zero lash (until I felt a little resistance while turning the pushrods) then a 1/4 turn of the rocker arm nut. Then I tightened the set screw. Now I can turn a couple of the pushrods. This doesn't seem right to me. I did make sure that each lifter was on the base circle of the cam before adjusting. Just making sure this is right before I put the valve covers back on and take it for a ride.

Thanks,

Andy
    '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
    339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
    '00 S-10 ZR2

Re: quick response please!(Joe 1320 too!)

Originally posted by AndyLT1
    After adjusting valves I can turn some pushrods by hand as it sits. Does this make any sense? I went to zero lash (until I felt a little resistance while turning the pushrods) then a 1/4 turn of the rocker arm nut. Then I tightened the set screw. Now I can turn a couple of the pushrods. This doesn't seem right to me. I did make sure that each lifter was on the base circle of the cam before adjusting. Just making sure this is right before I put the valve covers back on and take it for a ride.

Thanks,

Andy
    You should feel a slight drag when spining the pushrods, but no up and down play in the pushrod at zero lash

Comment

Yep, that's exactly how I did it. But it seems that after tightening another 1/4 turn past zero lash I shouldn't be able to turn the pushrod. Maybe I'm wrong. Should I be able to turn the pushrod now if it's adjusted properly?

Andy
      '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
      339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
      '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

The pushrod should be able to spin but it should take some force. I set the valve lash a little differently than most. I first tighten the rockers to the point that the pushrod has no side or up and down play. It may take several revolutions of the engine(turned by hand) in order to get to that starting point. I start the engine and with the engine running, adjust each rocker so that there is zero play and zero noise, then tighten an additional 1/8th turn. I let the engine warm completely and redo the process again. With the adjustment complete, you should still be able to turn a pushrod with a firm grip. This has always worked for me, some engines have turned over 200K miles with no problems.

That being said, this is only going to work if the lifters themselves are in good condition. If the lifter is collapsing, no amount of lash asjustment is going to work out. The same thing goes if the pushrods are not uniform in length. I have occationally seen a complete set of new pushrods where a few were shorter than the rest. I've seen problems where the heads were milled, a cam lobe or two were worn, rockers worn, etc. Hopefully you don't have any problems with worn or unmatched parts.

Comment

Thats one sweet lookin' ride joe.....

Comment

Originally posted by 385LT1
            Thats one sweet lookin' ride joe.....
            Thank you sir! I happened to be browsing through your list of mods...... killer. How do you like the pcmforless.com program? BTW, I used to live in Pinellas Park, right down the road from CNC heads. Great shop and an awesome product. Those are on my wish list.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              Thank you sir! I happened to be browsing through your list of mods...... killer. How do you like the pcmforless.com program? BTW, I used to live in Pinellas Park, right down the road from CNC heads. Great shop and an awesome product. Those are on my wish list.
              actually i no longer have PCM for less tuning,

I am working with Joe Overton OneTA2Try with the tuning.

appriciate the complements...

Comment

Working...
              X