pop/clank?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pop/clank?

My car is making a pretty embarassing sound whenever I come to a stop or sometimes when I put it in gear. As my car is downshifting when I'm coming to a stop it makes a pop/clanking noise as it goes downward through the gears. When I accelerate no noise, even hard into second nothing, but everytime I slow down it makes the noise. Oh, if I put the tranny in nuetral and stop no noise, so just on the downshift.

A/T 700R4
    327 borg warner rear end
    aluminum drive shaft
    1989 pontiac performance suspension
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Just for kicks, does it clank when the car is put in and out of reverse? What happens when you give it a little throttle in reverse?

Comment

It clanks into reverse and sometimes into drive, but after the intial clank, nothing in any gear when I give it throttle. It sounds like it's coming more from the rear of the car and not by the tranny.

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

I would suggest putting the car up in the air and check the torque arm mount as well as U joint play. Funny thing about noises.... the noise can be transmitted through the rest of the driveline or suspension and sometimes it's tough to tell exactly where it is coming from.

Comment

Thanks joe....... I jacked the car up last night, put it in nuetral, and spun the wheel back and forth and there seemed to be a little bit of play in it. after it stop spinnig forward there seemed to be slight play when I switched direction. by play I mean the wheel moved a little before the drive shaft moved with it.

Comment

I would put it up again and use a prybar around the torque arm mount and check the integrity of the front bushing (mount). When the mount failed on my 94, the noise was transmitted back toward the rear by the arm itself and it behaved very similar to what you described.

Comment

Cool I'll do that tonight when it drops below 100 degrees, appreciate the help man.

Comment

Problem solved, weird noise turned out to be torque arm mount.

Comment

Working...
                X