Misfire problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misfire problem

i own a 96 trans am and im having problems with a misfire and ive replaced plugs,wires,and cleaned my injectors.any clue on what my next move should be.

What RPM is the misfire occuring at? Are you seeing the SES light? It could be the coil. But another possibility is the ignition control module.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

about my cylinder misfire problem

my car misfires at about 2500 rpms in third gear and the ses light flashes about 7 times and pauses and does it again.did the ob2 test and got a p0300 cylinder mis fire code.

Comment

Originally posted by darrens 96 ta
        my car misfires at about 2500 rpms in third gear and the ses light flashes about 7 times and pauses and does it again.did the ob2 test and got a p0300 cylinder mis fire code.
        Hey man, I just had the same problem with mine. Litterally....same code and everything. Mine turned out to be the ignition module. Apparently, the flashing SES light means that the mis-fire is bd enough to harm the Catalytic converter, so don't drive it unless you absolutely have to. I had the dealer diagnose mine.....not sure if that would be the same reason for your mis-fire or not. Try checking all your plugs and wires and make sure each one is getting spark. If your scanner tells you what cylinder is mis-firing, start with that plug. If it isn't sparking, switch the wires and see if you get spark with one of the other wires. Kind of a process of elimination. If it doesn't spark with one of the wires you know is working, that will probably mean that the module is bad like mine. This is all just what I gathered by looking over what the mechanic did with mine today. One of the other guys might be able to give you a better idea of how to test it. I hope this helps.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

To access the misfire count by cylinder, you need an OBD-II scanner that can access "enhanced" codes. I don't think count by cylinder is part of the "basic" OBD-II data set.

His 96 T/A ignition is much different than your 2000 V6, including the problematic Optispark distributor, a single coil and a small Ignition Control Module that is subject to heat soak problems.

How many miles on the car? Have the plugs and wires ever been changed? Do you have any exhaust mods like headers that might be causing burned wires? Probably need more info about your car in order to help pin down the possible cause.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Not a good idea to post two separate threads on the same subject. I just answered your other thread, not knowing that you had already changed plugs and wires, wasting your time and mine.

Post a single thread, and when you have more info to add, add it to the same thread with another post.

I'm going to merge these two threads so you don't get a lot of other people answering one thread, without knowing the info that's in the other thread.

Another "helpful hint".... set up a "signature" with info about your car - year, (yes, I know its in your screen name, but a lot of people have different cars than what they use for their name), trans type and any major modifications.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X