Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tar + Car Door = Angry Firebird Owner

Hi guys, I need some help...

I started having a bad day when I slept in for work. Got worse when I went to my car. It looks like kids took shingles that have fallen off of a house oposite of where I park on the street and started playing with them like frizbies.

I am about to move next week but Murphies Law kicked in on me today I guess. My question is how can I easly remove the tar from my door, should I even think of goo gone or something like that . Also it may have skuffed the paint in that area, I have a simular scuff mark made by a door on my other side, is there a product that can fix those marks. They arn't deep and I dont feel comfortable to sand down my cars body myself.

Any adivce would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Some came off with a towl and water. I just don't want to scrub it into my door and make it worse.

Thanks
    94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Use Gumout Tar and Bug remover, or you can try goo gone. Neither one will hurt your paint. Heck, I've used gasoline to clean that kinda crap off many cars. Just wash and wax afterwards.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

They make tar remover, tar is usually not picked up from shingles but from new road surfaces. But tar is tar, so try it. It is at any auto parts store, or Wal-mart in the auto appearance department.
      NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
      (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Ok thanks guys, I will pick up some of each and try it out after work. I park in a bad part of town so I have been nervious parking it on the street but I never thought that flying shingles would be a problem.

Thanks again
        94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          Use Gumout Tar and Bug remover, or you can try goo gone. Neither one will hurt your paint. Heck, I've used gasoline to clean that kinda crap off many cars. Just wash and wax afterwards.
          Ditto...works great.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

A clay bar would probably work too if you have one handy. Tar remover would be far cheaper though if you don't already have the clay. I always keep a clay bar in the garage for just such occassions.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

WD-40 is great for removing tar as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian formula fun
                I park in a bad part of town so I have been nervious parking it on the street but I never thought that flying shingles would be a problem.

Thanks again

Where are you....in Scarborough??LOL
                95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Downtown Hamilton, But only untill next week

Comment

Peanut Butter works also, and doesn't damage the finish like some produts do.

Comment

got some goo gone auto and turtal was grease stuff. Tar came off but there were some skuff marks, not too bad but I will notice it

Oh well it could have been worse, thanks alot for the advice

Comment

now I remeber why I use Peanut Butter. doesn't scuff if done right.

Comment

well, let finish this thread properly then.....

use Zaino Show car polish, and all it takes is a nice cotton towel or microfiber and some of his z6 gloss enhances the the tar just comes right off with no prob. it does not stick..just like bugs or anything else.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

gojo hand cleaner with no grit will remove tar if you put it on in the heat of the day and let it sit about 5 min. Then lightly rub ten spay it off. The thing is it doesn't hurt your clear coat or fad your paint or lighten it either. I work for an road paving company and that what we use on cars that get the tar on them. No complants so far in 14 years.

Comment

Thanks, I ended up useing turtle wax's tar remover and some googone auto stuff and it worked ok. The scuff marks were made by the shingle itself. It's not too bad of a mark but my car was in mint shape. I still may be able to get it out to be less noticable when I clean it better and wax it again

Something my girlfriend laughs at me about is that the smallest mark I am like OMG it's huge and I see it right away where most people wouldnt see it at all.

Thanks again for all the advice

Comment

Working...
                              X