Chilton's Manuals....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilton's Manuals....

Does anyone here have one of these for our cars? Fred, I think you said you did. I was looking on Amazon last night, thinking about ordering it, but the only customer reviews on there gave it only one star out of like 5. They said it had way too much info that was irrelevant to their cars. Have ya'll experienced the same thing with yours, or are you happy with it? Is there a better manual I could get instead? I thought I would get opinions here before I ordered it. Thanks for any input.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

I have the Haynes. Not sure how much better or worse one is compared to the other.
    97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
    In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

the only manual you need is this forum...

Ken, Fred, Norman, Tracy, N20LT4Bird...everyone here makes up the manual. Heck, if they/we can't figure it out, no one can. LOL!!!

Fred is a walking repair manual...if we could plug into his head, ie Martix, we wouldn't need Chiltons.

I have a Haynes too...it's covers what you can do mostly yourself. The hardest problem I attacked myself was a rear axle shaft replacment. The guys on here it's easy as overhualing your brakes...and they we're right.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
        the only manual you need is this forum...

Ken, Fred, Norman, Tracy...everyone here makes up the manual. Heck, if we can't figure it out, no one can. LOL!!!

Fred is a walking repair manual...if we could plug into his head, ie Martix, we wouldn't need Chiltons.
        Very true...one of the reasons why I love this place

I also have a haynes manual as well. It's almost the same as a chilton's. If a chilton was 10 out of 10, I'd give a Hayne's manual a 9.5 out of 10. I've used both many times, and both have served me well.
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

ok thanks for the review. I will stick with my haynes.
          97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
          In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

THere are a lot better manuals other than Chiltons.......just not for $19.95. Ive got a Haynes manual that I use at home if im in a pinch and it works well for basic repairs and basic wiring diagrams.

At the school I teach at, we have Alldata, which is EVERY factory repair manual for EVERY vehicle from 82-present. The difference between this and the chiltons is vast, but so is the price.....about 5 grand (and thats the educators price).

If you really want the most extensive manual, get the factory manual (in paper form)......its expensive and may be difficult to get, but thats your best option.

If you guys need something in a pinch, let me know......I can probably look it up for you. However, I cant abuse my rights to use the program....
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

i ordered both from amazon, haynes and chilton. together they seem like a combination, is something is unclear or not found in one, just look it up in the other.

1996 camaro z28 automatic, no mods.

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                If you really want the most extensive manual, get the factory manual (in paper form)......its expensive and may be difficult to get, but thats your best option.
                That's what I've actually been trying to get my hands on for a while now. I know they're over a hundred bucks, but I had the chance to read one at my buddy's work (GM Dealership), and it's more than worth the money.

If anyone knows where I can get one for a 95 T/A, please let me know.
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I have the 3 volumes from GM for my Z....and the 5 for my 04 Silverado......nothin is like factory manuals even gets into the measurements for placing/applying the emblems (ie Z28 badge on rear panel).

You can get them from Helms:
                  GM Factory Manuals
                  95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by 4THGEN Z
                    I have the 3 volumes from GM for my Z....and the 5 for my 04 Silverado......nothin is like factory manuals even gets into the measurements for placing/applying the emblems (ie Z28 badge on rear panel).

You can get them from Helms:
                    GM Factory Manuals
                    Thank You!!!!!

Comment

A couple of months ago there was a link to a clearnce on the LT1 year Helm manuals for $50 .

I agree the Helm manuals will be the best, but for the ususal price of $100+ the cost can be prohibitive. That's why I prefer the cheapie, to answer some of the obvious questions. In my experience, the Chilton's is better than the Haynes, put that's just personal opinion.

Helm is for the professional, Chilton's is for the amateur. It answers 90% of what the amateur needs.

I liked this quote :
                      .....but..... I own a Chilton's for my 94 Formula, and I always take a quick look at it before I try something I haven't done before. I think I gained my initial understanding of the emissions systems from Chiltons. From there I expanded it by looking at other sources... but I have never looked at a Helm for the 4th Gen.

I have a 96 Saturn that belonged to my son. I need to sell it, and with 150K miles on it, I don't expect to get much. But when I try and start it, it floods. I notice the coolant temp sensor gauge is lagging the actual engine temp seriously - this would explain the hard start, and his complaints about poor gas mileage. I plug in my OBD-II scanner, and the PCM is getting the same bad data on coolant temp - but the sensor isn't setting a code, becasue its still working. Its just 30-50degF off. I pick up a Chiltons at the local Pep Boys, and the wiring diagram confirms there is only one coolant temp sensor that feeds the PCM, then the PCM feed the gauge (it changed in the Saturn in 1996). For the few bucks I paid for the Chiltons, I now know where the sensor is, the need for a particular sealant, the torque spec and the fact that there is only one, not two like I was thinking. Seems like cheap info, that will more than pay for itself when I sell the car for a few more bucks. And, it also needs rear brakes.... I'll look in the manual before I even take the first wheel off.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                        I notice the coolant temp sensor gauge is lagging the actual engine temp seriously - this would explain the hard start, and his complaints about poor gas mileage.
                        Fred, I had a student come in with this exact problem on his Saturn not too long ago and i've seen this on more than one Saturn of this vintage, I think its a common problem......no MIL though because the sensor is never out of range.
                        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Yes.. I've visited a couple Saturn websites, and apparently there was a plastic temp sensor used that was constantly breaking. I gues its sort of the "Optispark" of the Saturn.....
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Cool, thanks for the replies, guys. I think I will order the Chilton's after next payday. I want to try to learn all I can about how to work on my car. I'll be 30 this October, so I figure I should move my mechanical knowledge beyond basic maintainance. My dad always did his own engine work....still does, too. Gotta try to follow in the footsteps.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                            X