Converter install price?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter install price?

I was quoted $540 dollars by a local shop to install my TCI streetfighter converter along with a B&M transmition cooler and trango shift kit. What do other people think of this price and does anyone know anywhere around rochester ny that would maybe do it for less?
    1994 Camaro Z28 Bolton's, stall, 275 nitto's - SOLD
    1998 Camaro SS looking for 120+MPH N/A

Originally posted by scotts94_z28
    I was quoted $540 dollars by a local shop to install my TCI streetfighter converter along with a B&M transmition cooler and trango shift kit. What do other people think of this price and does anyone know anywhere around rochester ny that would maybe do it for less?
    That would seem a little on the high side for me personally. I would try and shoot for $400.

On a side note, ever think of doing it yourself. Doing those 3 things are pretty easy. I managed to do a tranny swap and cooler install a little while back....and that was the first time I ever tried to pull a tranny.

It took me 2 weekends to do the removal and install (had to wait a week for the new tranny). With some advice from these boards and a little elbow grease, I managed to do it pretty easy my first time (about 10-12 total hours of labor). What you're trying to do would even be easier....just a thought.
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Here's a link on installing a converter
      http://www.zmydust.com/converter.html

And a link to installing a cooler
      http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/94Z/trannycooler.htm

And a link for a shift kit
      http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...07htp_projls1/

Read the notes under the pictures on the side.

That should help you out should you choose to tackle it yourself.
      It is much more gratifying in the end IMO.
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

ya im sure you could do it yourself. took me a week to install a new M6. I sure you could pull the auto, swap TC's and be done with it in like 4 days with a little help, or even faster, depending on what kind of way you are raising the car.

Comment

I see youre in Brockport. If you are willing to drive an hour or two, im sure my father's trans shop could get you in soon to do it. He does a lot of performance work (on L60's and others) and is transgo dealer. If you havent bought the convertor, we could hook you up with a nice custom (built to your specs for YOUR car) convertor for much cheaper than the TCI....probably half price and every bit as bulletproof. The labor to do the job would probably be in the 500 dollar ballpark.....but I would have to check to get closer on the quote. PM me if youre interested.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

It's always nice to find out where the nearest custom converter builders are near you. I would make the drive to see N20LT4 Bird. TCI converters are not what they are hyped up to be. Not at all. They use many stock parts to build their "supposed" high performance converters.

Let Sean (N20LT4Bird) build you a custom converter and you will be much happier than going with a "off the shelf" converter trust me.

Comment

Working...
            X