NFB Interesting learning experience yesterday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB Interesting learning experience yesterday

As I'm coming home from work, my buddy who's a technician at a GM dealership gives me a call and asks me if I want to take a crash course on some of the machines they have there. Apparently his boss was gone, and he was staying after hours to do a couple things to his car (84 firebird with a 350). I figured why not, and stopped over there. First thing I learned was how to operate a tire removal/installer machine. He just bought a new set of tires, did the first one and showed me everything, and let me tackle the remaining 3. I actually managed to do them pretty quickly too, not bad for the first try with some low profile tires. Afterwards, I learned how to properly balance tires as well. It's so basic in the world of auto maintenance, but I had a blast doing it. He then showed me how the alignment machine works...that was his last job of the day. We screwed around with a couple other things on his car, washed it up courtesy of the porters working there, and that was it.

I must say though, air tools, torch, stone grinders, etc... + every type of machine you can think of on sight makes working on cars that much more fun. I can't wait until I take my auto classes at wyotech this fall and begin to do this for the rest of my life.

Just still gitty from working in an actual shop last night; I love it and felt the need to share the experience.

Have a great holiday all.
    Yeah 3 day weekend
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

After youve mounted and balance your 500th set of tires, get back to me and tell me how much you love it. I did that for a couple summers in high school......it gets old. Hopefully, after Wyotech and a few years in the business you wont be busting tires though!

But, yes, having the right tools and equipment makes working on cars a lot more enjoyable.....and in a lot of cases, makes it possible. Theres no way I would have been able to pull the motor on my bird without a lift and a hoist. Diagnostics? Forget about it without a scan tool, oscilloscope, pressure gauges, and a host of other tools......the days of the backyard mechanic are slipping away. I've been spoiled because the district that I work for has equipped the shop here with everything you could possibly want: lift, alignment rack, diag equipment galore, tire machine, balancer, brake lathe, all kinds of air tools, welders, etc. I love the perks!
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
      After youve mounted and balance your 500th set of tires, get back to me and tell me how much you love it. I did that for a couple summers in high school......it gets old. Hopefully, after Wyotech and a few years in the business you wont be busting tires though!
      LOL....exact same thing my buddy said to me. He was happy that it was me and not him doing that. Looks like I'll have to worry about that when I get there, but for now, mounting and balancing 500 sets of tires is looking a lot better than taking and recording inventory on 5,000 plus items here at work. I've been doing the same boring repetitive office grunt work for 2 years now...can't stand it. I hate just sitting and inputing things, but I do love gettin a 'lil dirty from time to time

Non the less, a lift and all that good stuff is a nice alternative to the lying on my driveway with standard tools.....the past 3 years of my life
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
        As I'm coming home from work, my buddy who's a technician at a GM dealership gives me a call and asks me if I want to take a crash course on some of the machines they have there. Apparently his boss was gone, and he was staying after hours to do a couple things to his car (84 firebird with a 350). I figured why not, and stopped over there. First thing I learned was how to operate a tire removal/installer machine. He just bought a new set of tires, did the first one and showed me everything, and let me tackle the remaining 3. I actually managed to do them pretty quickly too, not bad for the first try with some low profile tires. Afterwards, I learned how to properly balance tires as well. It's so basic in the world of auto maintenance, but I had a blast doing it. He then showed me how the alignment machine works...that was his last job of the day. We screwed around with a couple other things on his car, washed it up courtesy of the porters working there, and that was it.

I must say though, air tools, torch, stone grinders, etc... + every type of machine you can think of on sight makes working on cars that much more fun. I can't wait until I take my auto classes at wyotech this fall and begin to do this for the rest of my life.

Just still gitty from working in an actual shop last night; I love it and felt the need to share the experience.

Have a great holiday all.
        Yeah 3 day weekend
        I think you're on the right track. I hate my job (advertising) and I wonder why I torture myself doing it everyday. Every Millionare I know (I'm definitely not one myself) has the same thing in common - they all love what they do for a living. That's their secret to success - passion for their career. If you love working on cars - go for it! You may own your own shop one day and make a fortune - and the best part is you'll love it every step of the way!
        Darrin C
        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Working...
        X