Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best header gaskets?

grrrr.....

I've blown the driver's side header gasket and was wondering what the consensus of opinion was as to the best header gaskets. The original stacked steel worked great for the stock manifolds, the shorties use different bolt holes. The last set I used came with some hooker long tubes. They were what appears to be graphite impregnated composite. Did I mention I hate pulling headers?

Joe, I would just go with the 1406 (d-port) Fel-Pro's.

Comment

I've had good luck with the Mr. Gasket Copper-Seal header gaskets. You have to start with a flat flange for any of them to work.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I like the Earls aluminum with the replaceable graphite inserts. Mine absolutely do not leak or loosen up, and they are reuseable. You don't need to pull the header to install the gasket - it will hang on the end bolt holes. I had the copper ones before, and they are indestructable, but they leaked at the bottom of the port because they were just barely the wrong size for the ports where they needed to seal for some odd reason. I can't remember which brand they were, but keep an eye out for this problem. This was with SLP headers. Also, if you try to reuse them, you need to get them on exactly the same way they came off or they will leak.

Comment

Were the coppers that leaked the correct D-port for the LT1?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            Were the coppers that leaked the correct D-port for the LT1?
            Yes they were the correct D ports. I still have them (in a box of old parts), and the leak was barely noticeable when they were on the car. It wasn't until I took them off to do the heads that I noticed all the carbon right on the edge of the sealing surface. When I saw that, I took a close look at it and arrived at the conclusion that something wasn't quite fitting correctly and there was a little leakage on the bottom. I have heard of one other person make this same observation, but this was a couple years ago. It could be that a different set of headers would seal just fine on the bottom.

Comment

You know what I did when I just put the Vortec crate motor in my Tahoe. I took both my manifolds over to a local NAPA and they put them on their belt sander(most NAPA's have them) and trued them up a little for me free of charge. Absolutely no leaks and very quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                You know what I did when I just put the Vortec crate motor in my Tahoe. I took both my manifolds over to a local NAPA and they put them on their belt sander(most NAPA's have them) and trued them up a little for me free of charge. Absolutely no leaks and very quiet.
                hmmm... that's a good idea. It's a little odd that it's the #3/5 that's leaking right along the top of the port.

Comment

Earls Pressure Master p/n: 29DA3BERL
                  & Stage8 Locking bolts (#8911 ?)

Worth the extra $
                  1995 Firebird Formula
                  (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Joe & Fred - I took a pic of the problem I had with the copper head gaskets and I haven't had time to post the pics on a web, but I will e-mail them to you if you would like. the pictures show where the SLP header opening crossed the raised bead on the bottom sealing surface of the gasket and leaked out the bottom of all the ports. Anyway, I couldn't e-mail them to you as I had planned, but if you are curious what i am talking about, send me an e-mail and I will send the pics over.

Comment

I understand what you are talking about because it was really close on the JBA headers. Its like the header flange and the head surface just barely catch the edge of the gasket. I haven't had that problem with the AS&M's, so maybe its a problem of running with 1-5/8" primaries or something?
                      Fred

Comment

I picked up a set of fel-pro 1406s. They do look like they have a little more meat around the upper portion of the port. Stage 8s going on as well.

Comment

Just a follow up...... installed the fel-pro 1406s. These are indeed the correct D port configuration for LT-1s. A much better port seal. Installed stage 8 bolts too. The gaskets come with the end bolt holes slotted. That way you only pull the inside bolts and the gasket slips into place without removal of the header. Nice idea, but I modified them a little further. I slotted the rest of the bolt holes so that of the bolts need to be removed... just loostened. The gasket slides right in and the bolts tightened.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                            I understand what you are talking about because it was really close on the JBA headers. Its like the header flange and the head surface just barely catch the edge of the gasket. I haven't had that problem with the AS&M's, so maybe its a problem of running with 1-5/8" primaries or something?
                            Don't know, but I have 1 3/4" primaries that are larger on the bottom than the gasket bead diameter. Joe has the picture of it - I'm sure he can e-mail it to you if he sees this - it was on all ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                              Joe has the picture of it - I'm sure he can e-mail it to you if he sees this - it was on all ports.
                              here it is as an attachment.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X