AC Recharge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Recharge

Hello all. I got home last night from SW Asia and I got the bird out of storage. It started up right away and everything is OK except the AC. I tried to recharge it wasn't taking any gas, because the compressor wasn't locking up. I shorted the pins on the sensor but I could only get the fans to come on, not the compressor. What is my next step?

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Welcome back! Pull the low pressure cycling switch from the evaporator inlet line and attach a jumper wire across the terminals - this will keep the compressor on during the recharge.
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Thanks for the welcome back. I'll only be home a couple weeks then back to the sandbox. Anyhow I did short those terminals on the wire connector for the pressure sensor. Haynes didn't say which 2 of the 3 wires to short (gray, black or red) but no combination turned on the AC clutch, but it did turn both fans on. I tried to get to the AC clutch control connector (PITA) the schematic shows on wire DK GRN/White, but of course it has 2 wires. A green and another wire. It is really hard to get to. I would like to send 12V to the compressor to see if it will clunk, but I don't know exactly where I should do this.

Also I did check out the relays. I swapped the ac relay with a fan relay. The fan ran with the AC relay, so that is not the problem either.

Comment

Sounds like it could be a short. Check the fuses and work your way to the wiring under the hood. Could also be the connection at the compressor. Sometimes, storing a car for a few months can cause connections to corrode or rust depending on the climate.
        Darrin C
        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

put 12v directly to the compressor and the clutch should attach itself to the pully. not sure if u idd this or not
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Good point 88Bird . . .I totally left that out.
            Darrin C

Comment

I will do that tomorrow. I am busy getting my baby back ribs ready for smoking.

Happy Memorial Day Folks.

Please remember all the men and women in harm's way today.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X