First trip to the strip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First trip to the strip

Hey everyone, i havent been on here in a long time. for those who don't remember me im 17 years old and own a 99 B4C camaro, auto.

Ok, to the point. last friday i went to the drag strip and raced for my first time, my stock LS1 camaro ran a 9.8 at 74 mph (it's an 1/8 mile track by the way) for the most part i have bad tires and wouldn't hook up worth a damn.
    But... my tranny is my biggest concern, i put the car in low 1, reved the car against the brake to about 1200 rpm, (the car has been doing this on the street sence ive had it) when i shift to second i have to shift at about 5 grand or so, but it wont shift to second gear till about 6 grand.
    im loseing about .3 to .5 seconds becouse of the way my car shifts, it wont let me shift gears at the rpm i would like to. does anyone know what the problem would be?

Iv'e already thought of removing my jack, spare tire, and rear seats for weight. i have also considerd a battery relocation kit.

also, if you have any tips on lowering e.t.'s for relatively cheap and easy, pls let me know.

1999 B4C camaro

ya drive it without trying to shift it, the computer is capable of shifting better than youll ever be able to.
    1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

that uncovers anouther problem, this doesn't happen if i just stomp it,
      but if i stomp it it will spin.
      and if i give the car a sertain amount of gas it will not shift right, it will jump in and out of gear.
      so like i said, somthing is wrong with my tranny.
      i tried that at the strip for my second run and it lead to the most embarising event of the night, apart from my car jumping in and out of gear coming off the line, it ran a 10.5.

1999 B4C camaro

Comment

ya you should be running a lot better than that if im running a 9.05 1/8th with a virtually stock LT1. I dunno what it is. I dont think the stock TCs are made to be revved up like that. You are better off just launching it from idle... I think someone else asked the same question before about reving it up first. Definitely let the carputer shift it unless you get like a shift kit or something. Good luck, i dont have an answer just thought id say that you dont need to rev up at launch with a stock TC, its not gunna help you

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...ighlight=track

Comment

Trans

DarkZ11, just curious what speed did you run in the 1/8th with that 9.05??
          That trans sounds like something is wrong unless you are pedaling the throttle. I ran my best 60' at the track by leaving at idle. I did have MT drag Radials on. I don't think you can shift these cars manually at full throttle without a shift kit in them. Mine shifts at 6200, but the computer has been reprogrammed.

Comment

Put your car in drive and let it go. Your computer will shift more consistently than any human ever can. Its also very hard on the transmission to shift it yourself, do a search on it that should explain why I've never had an auto and am not sure why.

A fliter lid and catback are great starting mods for an LS1. They have great heads on them and just need to be able to breathe in and out a little better. Traction mods and a sticky set of tires will also help very much.
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Ya just leave it in Drive and dont Power-brake it. You should seriously look into some luanch wheels and a new set of drag tires. That should serve you well. Get the whisper lip and a nice K&n filter, Cat-back and some springs or something and that should help you with your traction problem. As for the tranny, just run it again but in drive and see what happens, but get your tires first. You should be in the 2.00 sec. flat for your 60' so that should give you an idea were you should be.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
              X