fixed old problems, found new ones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixed old problems, found new ones

Thanks to Steve, I was finally able to finish the turn signal pivot install. I still need to take apart part of the assembly again, though. I need to fix the wire routing of the windshield wiper switch (wires preventing the turn signal from holding down for a left turn), and I forgot to put in the locking screw for the ignition cylinder (stupid me). These are easy to fix/minor things, though.

The problems: as we're testing driving it, we notice that the car shudders as I turn the wheel, once in a while. I checked the power steering fluid, and it's low. So hopefully, filling it will remedy this. Then, as I try to put the drivers side window up/down, it moves cockeyed, then stops. Eventually, I got it to go all the way back up. It turns out, we're positive it's the same problem as Casey's. Although these are minor problems, why do several problems seem to happen all at one time? Maybe I should look at the bright side...while I'm working on the car, it maybe better for problems to show up, rather than at work or on a trip.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
    the car shudders as I turn the wheel, once in a while. I checked the power steering fluid, and it's low.
    Any leaks? how many miles? A shudder from the wheel is usually a sign the steering unit needs to be bled. If you haven't opened it up before and it has some miles, you might be seeing the signs of the rack or the pump going out.

Comment

Your window is doing exactly what mine was doing when I broke a window track. When you have door panel off check the track that is riveted to the actual window pane. Sometimes the little wheel that is riveted to the track breaks off. If that is the case you can use this thread by tracez to fix it...

http://f-body.com/forum/showthread.p...t=window+track

Be sure that if you do in fact have to replace that track that after you install it you regrease those window tracks
      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        Any leaks? how many miles? A shudder from the wheel is usually a sign the steering unit needs to be bled. If you haven't opened it up before and it has some miles, you might be seeing the signs of the rack or the pump going out.
        The thing is though, it wasn't just the wheel, it was the whole car. When he felt it, I felt it through the floorboard. Maybe something affecting the motor from the steering?
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Thanks for your guys' help and replies
          I just finished (one and for all) with the turn signal/steering, so at least that is finally cleared up.
          Joe, I'm not sure if there's a leak, but I'm guessing there's an ever-so-slight one. About every 10k, I have to fill a tiny bit of fluid back in. So if there's seepage or a leak, it's very small. I haven't had trouble with it ever since I bought it several years ago. The previous owner seemed to neglect putting fluid in, and it was so low, it wouldn't show up on the small dip stick. The power steering would cut out when making U-turns during that time. However, ever since I filled it, it hasn't given a problem since. Maybe it is starting to go, though...I'll observe it for the next few days.
          ws6drbob, thanks for the link. I will take apart the door panel as soon as I can and check it out...it looks like the track isn't too hard to replace. The only thing is getting these dang plastic door panels off.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
          X