Got the Springs installed (pics)!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the Springs installed (pics)!!!

I want to thank Joe1320 for recommending Intrax springs. I am so happy with the stance. It was worth the 10hrs it took me to do them!

One thing I want to ask anyone with these springs is if you noticed the front driver side would clunk when you hit a low spot in the road. I'm not sure if the springs behave differently until they settle but it had me a little worried. I got out and checked the bolts on the upper shock mount. Also looked behind the wheel....everything looks normal. BTW, I installed Bilstein shocks also.

www.cardomain.com/memberpage/634484/2

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
    Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Originally posted by jerrysta
    I want to thank Joe1320 for recommending Intrax springs. I am so happy with the stance. It was worth the 10hrs it took me to do them!

One thing I want to ask anyone with these springs is if you noticed the front driver side would clunk when you hit a low spot in the road. I'm not sure if the springs behave differently until they settle but it had me a little worried. I got out and checked the bolts on the upper shock mount. Also looked behind the wheel....everything looks normal. BTW, I installed Bilstein shocks also.
    Check your swaybar endlinks....

Those intrax springs ride good eh?

Comment

MAn that looks great. I really want to do that to mine but my driveway is pretty steep and I am afraid I will not be able to get in and out!
      Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

I replaced both of the sway bar bolts, so there are new bushings on them. It was about 3 in the morning when we did it so I guess we could have put one of the bushings on in the wrong order.....

Actually the springs ride awesome. I could tell right away the difference in the handling. It's wierd because when I turn now it's like I'm taking a totally different angle into the turn. The car just turns in a lot better and stays flat through the turn.

One thing I did not count on was how different the seating position would feel....I was on the freeway on the way home and the car was just cruising absorbing all of the grades in the road....I'm like man am I sitting close to the ground! It was awesome! I could see the front end reacting to the road...it reminded me of a Nascar race when you see them come around the turn and the car seems to be jutting up and down but it stays incredibly stable throughout the turn.....

I'm very happy about this mod!

As far as the clunking my friend and I have a saying:

"It's all part and parcel of the f-body package!"

As long as nothing is broken I'm okay!

Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

I added a couple more pics of close-up shots to really show the wheel gap. Check out the pic of the rear end......that is on level ground!

13.685@102.11

Comment

Yup.. just the right height. You may wish to consider adding airlift bags if you plan on loading up the car with friends.

Comment

that looks slick. but why did it take so long? Are the intrax more complex than regualar springs? 10 hours is header time.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by jerrysta
                It was worth the 10hrs it took me to do them!

Ouch 10 hours? I changed my brother's (AmericanZ28) springs and struts in 5 hours. The beauty of air tools!!! Car looks great man. It was worth the time, Im sure it ride awesome as well.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Let me tell you about my night. I get over to my dad's to work on the car. My brother and I start working at about 6. We are thinking let's do the fronts first because they will be the worst. ( We were right!!) So we start taking everything apart and things are going to plan.....but we know with these cars things rarely go as planned.....bam.....the sway bar link bolt breaks in half....no prob....an hour later I'm back from the autoparts store with two new bolts in hand.

So we also find that the shock mount is rusted solid to the shock. We f'ed around with it way to long before we just decided to cut the bolt off with a Dremel.....

Keep in mind the Intrax springs are wound pretty tight so getting the spring compressor in and out was not an easy task.You had to put it on and kind of wind it around the coil.

Anyway we had the same prob on the other side and after eating twice, drinking a few beers, breaking two bolts, smashing my thumb with the sway bar end link on bolt #2, cutting two other bolts, and losing a bolt we were finally done at about 4 in the morning.

We problably spent 8 hours actual work time.

"it's all part and parcel of the f-body package."

13.685@102.11

Comment

That bolt is a PITA. I will never waste time trying to take it off again. Every half turn on that thing took 100 ft lb's, and it ended up breaking after 10 minutes of stressful turning. I'll cut it before I go through that again. Both mine snapped. They were rusted so bad.... Looks very slick though man, I can't wait to put on my sportlines. I was halfway done, but the nut on top of my shock was so rusted it made the shock useless for a new spring
                    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Joe, the clunk is still there. I double checked all of the nuts and screws up top in the engine compartment and they are all tight. I figured they may have come up a little more when I hit that first bump.

I will still check the sway bar links if you think that could be it. Do you think maybe some poly bushings might help?

There is no noise from the passenger side. Do you think the end link bolt may have "settled" or popped into place a bit more during driving? I remember tightening the crap out of it.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Working...
                      X