NFB - another accident on my parents corner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB - another accident on my parents corner

My parents live on a corner where a 25mph street intersects a 45 mph highway. Traffic on the highway drives at aboput 50 mph. I was sitting in my father's den with him going through some pictures I took of the kids on vacation and we hear a incredible smash, then skidding tires. It sounded like someone came through the intersection and smashed my Z sitting in the driveway. We both jump up and run outside.

Thank God the Z was ok, but there was a Explorer up half on the lawn with the nose complete obliterated and the entire front frame was pushed to the passenger side. The horn was stuck on and smoke was coming from both aribags that deployed. An older guy was in the drivers seat and was taking off his seatbelt to get out. We called 911 and got him a chair to sit in and a blanket to stay warm.

The other car was newer Buick Centry. It was pulled off to the left side of the highway about 400 feet down facing the wrong direction. It was dark and we could hardly see it. A kid, about 17 gets out and begins limping down the side of the road missing a shoe. He gets back to the corner and says he is OK. The police and a fire truck arrive and begin securing the scene and asking questions.

It turns out that the kid ran the stop sign and was t-boned by the Explorer hard enough to blast him 400 feet down the highway. I cannot imaging that the force was strong enough to push him that far, so I assume he tried to drive most of that distance but his car would no longer function. Did he try to flee the scene maybe?

Anyway... my dad and I go look at the Buick. Oh my god. It was t-boned directly behind the front tire and on the passenger door. The force of the collision seriously smashed in the side of the car. The area for the passenger was smashed in by a good 15". The force went strait through the dashboard and turned it into splinters. Litterally like a bomb blew up the entire dashboard. There was just jagged broken plastic and wires everywhere. His shoe was sitting on the floor. the knee bolster and ashtray section were all busted up where his feet and legs would have been. Even the gauges were unrecognizable. He is so lucky he was not seriously hurt. I have never seen a dashboard explode like that before. Honestly, I would not had even imagined it was possible until I saw it mith my own eyes.

Anyware, just thought I'd share.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

It just goes to show that there are some scary things that can happen when you don't pay attention or decide to break some traffic laws. A little bit of patience can go a long way in keeping you alive on the road. And yet everyday I hear on the news about another accident that probobly could ahve been prevented had someone waited for a car to pass them instead of jumping out in the road. Just be careful out there guys.
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

At least both drivers were okay. Better yet, thankfully they didn't have passengers. It sounds like at least one of the two passengers wouldn't have made it... especially if the kid in the Buick had a passenger.
      SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
      SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
      17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
      Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Crazy. The story sounds exactly like what happened to me 25 years ago. A guy I knew was drinking and driving, couldn't make the corner and flipped it into the neighbor's driveway. It was parked perfectly in the one vacant spot on the driveway....... but was on it's roof. He just touched two of the cars and those were what helped guid him into the spot. The whole thing sounded like it happened to our place. Of course all the cops showed up, beer cans puring out of the car...... his dad who works for ATF shows up and no charges are filed. This little loser should have been locked up, but daddy's pull got him off.

That poor neighbor had that happen literally 3 or 4 times before he put these huge boulders in the front areas of his lawn. After that, cars tended to bounce back into the road rather than end up in his lawn or driveway.

Comment

17 year old's and stop signs.... I can tell you stories..
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            That poor neighbor had that happen literally 3 or 4 times before he put these huge boulders in the front areas of his lawn. After that, cars tended to bounce back into the road rather than end up in his lawn or driveway.
            Same thing with my dad. After losing his mailbox 3 times he replaced it with a green treated 6x6 post down 3' in concrete. It's got some gashes on it now, but is still standing!

I have a giant boulder on the corner at my house. It'll stop an 18 wheeler and the kids love climbing on it.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
              I have a giant boulder on the corner at my house. It'll stop an 18 wheeler and the kids love climbing on it.
              As do we. Actually, it's on our driveway where our alley is...basically just prevents people from cutting over our driveway coming in and out of the alley; and also prevents them from clipping the front of our car parked there. The kids also like to play on it as well.

I can't stress enough how important it is too look, especially with how some people drive today. Not a month ago, this girl I used to go to hs with got hit by a porshe. The light turned green, and apparently she just immediately nailed it in to the intersection. She got T-boned by a porshe going an estimated 70 mph, and got ejected from her car (no seatbelt). The porshe wound up hitting an SUV, which actually wound up flipping on top of the girl who was ejected....she obviously didn't make it.

It saddens me to hear another story like this....especially when they can be easily prevented. Glad to hear no one got seriously hurt though.

Drive safe everyone!
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Working...
              X