Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I clean my engine without killing my opti?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I clean my engine without killing my opti?

I live in Central FL so I have sand and other crud all over my engine compartment. How do I go about cleaning it while not hurting my opti since they tend to be sensitive to moisture? Any help getting my dirty engine compartment sparkling would be much apreciated. Thanks in advance.....Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Use Simply Green, rags and a bucket of water. Turn the water hose almost off and carefully rinse.

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So as long as I don't douse the front of the motor too much I'll be Ok, Right?

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Yeah do it with the motor cold. I guess if you have a lot of sand you could try a vacuum cleaner.

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Thanks again.

Not too much sand, just a little gritty. This will give me something to do while the epoxy is curing on my headlight motors after I put in the new brass gears. Besides I'm sick of looking at a dirty engine....Later

Comment

Blow solids like sand out with a compressor. Vacuum where you can. Generally, avoid getting water on any of the electrical connectors, the Opti, the PCM, etc.

One of the best cleaners for sensitive areas is "brake cleaner".... leaves no residue. Avoid breathing the fumes as much as you can. For stubborn stains use some solvent like Simple Green on a toothbrush or a Q-tip. Dry well with a rag, avoiding water if you can.

Clean metal parts with Motrhers Aluminum Polish. You can get the fuel rails shining like mirrors with minimum work. Clean the rubber and plastic parts with a wet/soapy rag, get all residue off, then treat with Mothers Back to Black.

Once you get it clean, keep it clean with periodic wiping with a dry cloth. My engine has never been washed.....

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the info. BTW beautiful engine compartment. I want mine to look that good Maybe I'll take some before and after pics and post them....Later

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                For stubborn stains use some solvent like Simple Green on a toothbrush or a Q-tip.
                Only a real car guy would ever get to the point that he is cleaning his car with a Q tip or his toothbrush... Of course, I've never done that

My biggest problem is that I mix my laundry with my polishing rags and end up wearing stuff that was a rag for a couple years. Drives the missus crazy!

Comment

Working...
                X